A long weekend in Hydra, Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Hydra
November 5th 2011
Published: November 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A long weekend in Hydra at the end of October, just the perfect recipe for someone looking for some peace and quiet. We (Sara and I) jumped on a boat from Piraeus and in 2 hours we were arriving in this magical island. We stayed at Nereids Guest House (beautifully decorated and friendly) and for the next 3 days we explored the island trekking.
One would say that Hydra is similar to many of the other islands of Greece - pictureque little harbour dotted with coffee shops, many tavernas, colourful streets and houses etc - especially if you are visiting Hydra for an hour or so on those boats that they just do island hopping in a day.
However the beauty of Hydra is to stay for a few days and live the life rhythm of the locals. The most shocking (in a positive way always) to me was that there are no cars on the island, everything is moved around with donkeys (except for a few rubbish trucks). Roads are all earth ones and used by the donkeys or humans.
Trekking is a must in Hydra - one day we went up to Profitis Elias and Mount Eros, an amazing view of the whole island from there, and another day to a remote and almost abandoned (only one permanent family living there now) village called Episkopi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb