Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
October 3rd 2008
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ceviche! again.Ceviche! again.Ceviche! again.

It's all about food.
Our driver Jose ( casanovacab@hotmail.com ) took us around Miraflores and Barranco and further south to see the coastline a bit. Then we spent the day in Centro Lima. Walked the area very easily. What we wanted to see was all very close to the Plaza de Armas. We went into the cathedral and the San Franciscan monastery and underground catacombs. There was a guided tour in English starting just as we arrived. We arrived back at the main square at noon to see the changing of the guards at the Palacio de Gobierno. We had a walk through Chinatown and into the bank to buy a commemorative ounce of silver with Machu Picchu on it. Somehow Jose got us to the front of the line while everyone else waited in the chair filled lobby. We visited the Museum of the Spanish Inquisition where we learned that only 32 people were killed! We highly doubt that. Looked at the colorful hill of San Cristobal from the Parque la Muralla where there is a large statue of their conquerer Pizarro. The homes on San Cristobal hill are all painted brightly and there is a cross on the top of the hill. We could have easily spent another full day here on our own going more slowly and taking the time to shop. As it was, with our guide we saw a lot and walked a lot more than we would have alone. Late in the afternoon he dropped us off at El Senorio de Sulca for a buffet of not food... but art, in Miraflores again. Wow, fantastic meal of typical Peruvian food. Then we walked back the malecon on the cliff edge and watched the families with their dogs, the parasailers jumping off the cliff, the parque de amor and finally Larcomar, the mall built into the cliff side. Everywhere we went there was so much life, so many people, every part of the park along the cliff being used. You would never leave this part of the city if you could live and work here. On our way home at the end of our trip we have one more day in Lima´s Barranco area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

the hotel foyerthe hotel foyer
the hotel foyer

I loved this place, an old mansion turned hotel.
Famous fountain,Famous fountain,
Famous fountain,

500 years old.
San Franciscan MonasterySan Franciscan Monastery
San Franciscan Monastery

this one had the catacombs underneath.
Walking the cliffs in Lima.Walking the cliffs in Lima.
Walking the cliffs in Lima.

Always foggy, beautiful views of the cliffs and waves below from Miraflores area.
Victor Delfin statue.Victor Delfin statue.
Victor Delfin statue.

In the Parque de Amor


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb