Floating Islands!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
June 8th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrive in Puno, on the Peruvian side of Lake Titicaca, late afternoon, and go to a place offered by some man on the bus. Not a bad place but had to pester for hot water for the shower while I was in it! Decided for a night on the town as I would be leaving Darren and Andrew the next day, another leaving do... We find places that give free drinks and 2 for 1 so have a crazy night, dancing to hung up most of the night.
Get home about 3ish after dragging Darren out of some strangers car! Then awoken at 8am as Shaun and I had arranged another boat trip!! We try and eat breakfast and say goodbye to Darren and Andrew, clearly we are still drunk as Shaun usually is silent during the day but is currently speaking non-stop. We just manage to catch our bus and get on the boat with the rest of the tour. We arrive at the firt floating island and get an explanation. All the islands are piles of reeds made by hand, they are anchored in the corners but rise and fall with the lake tide. The villagers replace the reeds daily and also use them for everything, building huts, boats, food!! The villagers are by no means backward though. They live in huts without windows and doors but each have solar panels for their TVs! We then take a ride in the traditional puma boat also made of reeds and visit another floating island which has an inland hole where they keep huge trout. Then back on the real boat to the mainland. We get a minibus to the hotel and rush about trying to eat before catching our bus 15minutes later to Cusco.
Traumatic journey for Shaun as he has travellers stomach and we break down multiple times so fear we will have to change buses a few times. Finally arrive in Cusco at 10pm.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.384s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb