Puno, the reed islands, and knitting men.......


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
May 26th 2007
Published: May 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post


The reed islands.

So we did mention that we were happy with our entry into Peru? One of the main reasons maybe being that we had so many different comments and opinions about Puno that we didn´t know what to expect. So best to go in without expecting anything, and Bob´s your uncle (or Bin´s dad anyway)!!

It´s one thing to get harrassed by street vendors, but another thing to get harrassed by street vendors with big smiles and a sense of humour! Pretty much sums up Calle De Lima in Puno at night. You can smile and reject, and they won´t crash tackle you or call you names.

Apart from Calle de Lima, the main square, and the cathedral (albeit mainly in concrete) Puno itself isn´t all that attractive. The (reed) islands are the main tourist attraction here. Lovely lady at AllWays travel helped us out with a few (re)bookings, and off we went for another boat trip onto Lake Titicaca.

This time however, the Peruvian side, and this time with a boat with an actual engine !! Boy oh boy, did this puppy go fast. Lots of diesel power this time, so we were all smiles at 7.30am when the boat left for the reed islands.

More smiles upon arrival at the reed islands checkpoint (?!?), where they distribute the joy and dollars of the tourists equally amongs the different islands and their families. Then onwards to our designated island. Forget how many islands there are, but think over 300! Pictures tell all, it´s very impressive.

The welcome on the island was warm, and very colourful (the dresses anyway). Some explanations (and demo) on how these islands stay afloat (and are anchored), and (un)surprisingly they had all the examples ready for a quick explanation.

Then a quick look around some of the houses, and yes, they have a solar panel for every 3 houses! mainly used for light, radios, and some televisions.... After that of course some obligatory tourist handycraft shopping, and of we went in one of the reed boats, a catamaran! If they hadn´t explained it to us, one would have though it was a viking ship, but the heads of the boats are actually puma heads (I know, takes some imagination ... but so do all the pumas that you can supposedly see in rocks, statutes and otherwise in Peru ....). One of our rowing friends also had to take a work call.....

Goodbyes were with songs from the local ladies, first a local song, then a "my bonnie is over the ocean", and finally "row row row your boat". Lest we forget, final hurrah was "hasta la vista baby".. Guess that TV comes in handy for learning English.

Onwards for 2 hours to Taquile island (that´s not miss spelled, it´s an island, not the mexican drink). Again, hard work getting up the hill, and some explanations in someone´s backyard on local life. Taquile is the island were the men do the knitting (?!?!?) and then women the weaving. By now, we´re glad to hear, women are also allowed to vote for the village leaders every year. Democracy and emancipation are making it to the island !!

The scenery from this side of the lake was as per usual great, spectacular, and we´re still in luck with the weather (fingers crossed for Machu Piuchu). All good here. Lunch was simple, and I think we bought another 2 woolly alpaca hats here. Collection is up to 3 now!

Long 2.5 hours back by boat, most people sleeping again, but sunny all the way so quite enjoyable. OK, that diesel engine does need a better exhaust, but hey, we were flying along the water !

Unfortunately it was my turn for a physical off day the next morning, so our stay in Puno was extended with one more day. But with heating and a bath in our room (can´t remember how long it´s been), it couldn´t have been a better place to sleep in a bit!




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Some desert recommendations from our first restaurant in Puno.Some desert recommendations from our first restaurant in Puno.
Some desert recommendations from our first restaurant in Puno.

Please take note of the "coca mouse" and the "surprise of carr(i)ot". The "sin fully choclate" might be appealing too....
First restaurant in Puno. Mind our friend at the right.First restaurant in Puno. Mind our friend at the right.
First restaurant in Puno. Mind our friend at the right.

The food was pretty great , and we had a free glas of wine to lure us in !
Ehm, lunch ????Ehm, lunch ????
Ehm, lunch ????

PS, haven´t tried the fried guinea pig, yet....
More views of the floating islands.More views of the floating islands.
More views of the floating islands.

PS they´re actually anchored.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb