Puno - Not as good as the Bolivian side


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Puno
October 14th 2009
Published: October 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Another successful border crossing and i made it to Peru. A little town on the other side of Lake Titicaca called Puno, nowhere near as nice as Copacabana, but a good place to start Peru.

After checking in we found a local pool hall and had a few games, same stupid tables so we didn't bother for long. Had a good walk around the City and noticed a really cool looking Football Stadium. It looked really old and looked to be made out of stone, had a real coliseam feeling to it. Again, we were able to stroll in, no questions asked. It was a great pitch, 4th Generation Astro, i was dying to find a ball for a kick about, but no joy.

In the afternoon we ate at the most recommended place in Puno, Tobby's Burgers. Now, after seeing her cook the frozen burger in the microwave, alarm bells should have rang, but we wolfed it down.... a decision to come back & haunt us the next day...over and over and over again. Anyway, with the fetid food in our stomachs we got ready for the night. Lots of good bars in Puno, so we started early on the Pisco Sours, a local brew made with potent spirit & egg whites. Pretty grim so moved onto a new favourite, Cuba Libres. We floated from Bar to bar taking advantage of the offers and drank a great amount of Cuba Libres. The night was pieced together the next day using photo's we'd taken as our memories had been erased by rum. It looked like we had a great night dancing with locals, dancing on the bar and dancing alone....

Anyway, i thought i had a hangover the next morning, but it progressed into something much worse, Tobby's Burger was causing mischief. I won't go into great detail, but it wasn't pleasent, i spent the day wrapped in a blanket watching DVD's moaning loudly to anyone who would listen. We were supposed to go on a trip to the famous floating islands that day, but no way could we move, so it was put off till the day after....

Wish we hadn't have bothered. They are amazing to see. 2000 people live on the lake on floating reeds. Its really cool, but the most tacky tourist trap i've seen on the whole trip. They greet your boat in traditional dress, then proceed in any way they can to get money off you, then sing traditional songs including Row Row Row your boat and Ob-La-Dee on the pan pipes.

Luckily it was only a quick trip, so was glad to get back to dry land, especially as the Tobby Burger was still doing its worst.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb