Just ...Too ...Many ...Textiles! AAHHHH


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
August 11th 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to the home of the Llama. And it seems the Llama jumper, the llama blanket, the llama socks, the lama baffies, the llama wall hanging and off course the llama burger (Ok I know the last one isn´t a textile, but when you´ve shaved the poor beast raw the only place left to keep it warm is at 180 degrees for 15 minutes). We even swear we´ve seen some llama loo seat covers and hence everyone we know is going to have a very jolly Christmas.

Up high in the Andes (still, yes we know) and stradling the borders of Bolivia and Peru, Lake Titikaka (or the Lake of the Stone Puma - which is a much cooler name) is a haven for those wishing to escap the cities of La Paz (Bolivia) and Arequipa/Cuzco (Peru). The only problm is that on man´s haven by the lake is anothers Blackpool. Yes once again the comparisons with the tourist hell of the UK are apparent. Actually, they aren´t really apart from the bad food, pedalos and slight smell of wee - hmm so Blackpool it is then.

The real draw of the lake, however, extends well beyond the reach of any pedalo. Firstly, on th Bolivian side is the slightly overrated Incan Isla del Sol (or Island of the Sun for those who don´t speak Spanish and are really rubbish at guessing stuff). Package boats ply the route out there as hundreds descend on the island every day hoping to glimpse a rare insight into the suppossed birth place of the Incas. Unfortunately the Incas left and set up camp in Cuzco (Peru) and they didn´t realloy leave that much behind. Never mind, boat rides are always fun.

The second draw, on the Peruvian side this time, however is anything but a disappointment. The ´floating islands´of Los Uros (no translation - like it or lump it) consist of forty or so floating islands made entirely of reeds. I say entirely of reeds they do now have TV´s which clearly are not made of reeds - although I smell a new tourist market. Apart from that though reeds. They sit on they, sleep on them, eat them and if given even the slightest chance they will sell them to the tourist as delightful handicrafts. It is one of these things that maks you think ´hmm, islands made of reeds, how quaint´ before you see them, but let us assure you these are no mre triffle. They hav multi levelled buildings, kitchens (which do seem quite flammable), shops, hotels and even an internet cafe (hmm actually the computers probably aren´t reeds either come to think of it). It´s quite remarkable. A whole community floating on the lake, only anchored down so they don´t end up in Bolivia - getting a passport can be a nightmare supposedly. Each island self supporting, sharing facilities and goods and of course the armies of tourists that descend upon them daily. As a result of course even the adorably cute mini Peruvian toddlers are rutheless when it comes to sales. I suppose everthing comes at a price.

And so it is that we board our bus to Cuzco and the sacred valley of the Incas. Having travelled through Chile, Bolivia and now Peru in less than 3 weeks we can finally relax and take in arguabley one of the prettiest cities in South America. Home to countless churches, temples and of course shops. Oh goody.

p.s. Having now tried legal coca (they drink it as tea here) we can honestly say, what is all the fuss about. Herbal tea is drunk all over the world without ill effects. So lay of the coca plant and appreciate its warm and fuzzy feeling and slightly twiggy taste. I'll pick you some up gran - sshhh.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb