Floating Islands on lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Uros Island
November 15th 2008
Published: November 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our Guide........NealOur Guide........NealOur Guide........Neal

only slightly mad.........likes Metallica
We arrived at the floating islands of Uros, and what a beautiful site it was. The photo’s do not do it justice.
We were greeted by the family from the island we had chosen to visit, then we sat down as you would have sat in school to be lectured about the islands, how the people came to be here, how the islands were constructed and how the communities worked, that sort of stuff, very interesting.
We were shown foods that were eaten on the islands, (fish and reeds), some of the reeds we tried, not bad.
We were then led off to look around the houses that people lived in on the island we were on, my host was called Cecilia, we were then offered some of the wares made by these people.

After we said our goodbye’s and our hosts had sung to us, we boarded a reed boat and were sailed across to another island to have a look around. This one had a fish farm in the middle, growing trout.
We said farewell again and boarded our motorised vessel and headed back to Puno.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

what a race that was
ReedsReeds
Reeds

food and building materials..............mmmm not bad.
SingingSinging
Singing

as they say farewell to us and we sail off on a reed boat.............made with about 2000 plastic bottles for floatation.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb