Into Ecuador - 12-13 Feb 2014


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Piura » Máncora
February 13th 2014
Published: April 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Pacific OceanPacific OceanPacific Ocean

Local reed boats
Wednesday 12thFebruary (Odyssey Day 96)







We left the camp at 0830 this morning, which seemed rather leisurely to us. Camp included breakfast, but their definition of breakfast seemed to be just some bread. We even had to get our own butter from the truck. A bit odd really but we get used to the fact that our idea of a good breakfast may be different to other peoples. Though truthfully we are also a lot less fussy these days.







We made a stop at the nearby town of Lambayeque. Simon and Emma needed to do a shop, and the bar definitely needed stocking up. So Simon parked the truck at the Royal Tombs of Sipán museum. Just five of us decided to go in to the museum while we were there, Kelly, Toby, Joanna, Ann and myself. It was definitely the right choice as it was fascinating, though we couldn’t take our cameras in.







It was basically a display of items and replicas of items excavated at the Sipán site ruins. Three pyramid shapes with tombs at different levels. Not
LambayequeLambayequeLambayeque

Royal Tombs of Sipán museum
actually pyramids, more like platforms that the rulers got buried in as they died. Then the next ruler would build another platform on top of the old and when he died, he would also be buried in his level. It was S/.10 to enter and S/.30 for a guide for the group. Well worth the price as it truly was a fascinating place and the guide was very good. We would have been happy to spend another hour there, but unfortunately we were pressed for time as we had a truck to catch.







The campsite in Mancora, when we arrived, was quite busy. Most places we have stayed at so far are almost empty but here there were lots of people at the campsite and the town itself also looked very busy. The camp is all sandy which is good to sleep on and even has hot showers, which makes everyone happy.







After dinner, Hannah, Joanna, Kelly and I took a walk into town and looked at the various market stalls trying not to buy too much, before stopping to have a couple of drinks at
MancoraMancoraMancora

Sunset at the campsite
a little local bar and takeaway place. Pisco sours with egg white, which is apparently the ‘correct’ way to make them. Yum.







Then we headed back to the beach and met up with some of the others at the lovely and cool, but horrendously noisy beach bars before Joanna and I headed home about 2300. Sitting on a truck for long days can be tiring. Or maybe we are just showing our age!











Thursday 13th February (Odyssey Day 97)







Our departure this morning was at 0700, so myself, Wayne and Eamon had to be up before 0600 to get breakfast ready. Fortunately there is not usually much to do for the breakfast meal, but here we had to load everything back onto the truck when done since the truck hadn’t been able to fit into the campsite itself.







We made our first stop this morning at the border with Ecuador and it only took about 40 minutes to get through passport control, so we were back on the
Travel Day Travel Day Travel Day

Lunch stop - this service station seemed abandoned but wasn't quite
road by 1115. Then a couple of minutes down the road was customs for the truck. This took another 40 minutes itself, but at midday we were off again, heading as far into Ecuador as we could get today.







Having watched the sun set form the truck, it was an interesting journey into the town of Rio Bamba. The drivers here in Ecuador seem to be even more reckless than anywhere else. The cars and buses and trucks were all overtaking on narrow mountain roads where you couldn’t see past the curves just a few meters away with sheer drops down the mountain on the outside. It was crazy really and as a result we were really slow there as Simon wasn’t suicidal and we had to keep slowing down to let cars in so no one would be run off the road. Not kidding – crazy.







We arrived at our hotel tonight at 2130. It has been a very long and tiring day and 14 hours on the truck didn’t really help the fact that I think I’m getting a cold. Hopefully it won’t be
Travel DayTravel DayTravel Day

A new country comes with new scenery
too bad but a night in a hotel will likely be a very good thing!







Ellie and I walked down the streets of Rio Bamba to find some food but most places were closed. We eventually came upon a burger place and went in to eat. I’m not sure Ellie was thrilled with her meal, but mine was really nice, if a little salty. I have discovered that they put salt on everything around here, and lots of it.







The town itself is just a stopover for us. Somewhere to get some sleep on our way to Otavalo. We have a few stops like this as we head north into Colombia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

MancoraMancora
Mancora

Detour required as the fishermen seem to have right-of-way
Travel DayTravel Day
Travel Day

Tradition roof, not-so-traditional security cage
Travel DayTravel Day
Travel Day

Bananas everywhere in Ecuador!


Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb