Southbound through Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Piura » Máncora
October 11th 2007
Published: October 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Living it up in MancoraLiving it up in MancoraLiving it up in Mancora

California Dreaming
Next stop Puru. Crossing the border from Ecuador to Peru was an interesting experience, battling our way on foot over the bridge which marks the border at Huaquillas, through hoardes of people trying very hard to get us to change money or buy parrots!

Once safely at the police station on the Peruvain side we were met by our guide to start our journey south through the Peruvian desert located between the Pacific Oceon and the Andes. The rain seldom falls here and we travelled for hours without seeing any signs of life, just occasional images marked in rock on the hillsides and sometimes graves by the side of the road, presumably to mark the spot where the desert had got the better of someone.

We spent a fantastic few days relaxing in the beach resort of Mancora, a slightly ramshakle town strung along a dusty stretch of the Pan American Highway beside the Pacific. Our accommodation was great and even had a swimming pool - a major luxury. Apart from just chilling out by the pool and on the beach we had a go at surfing and had salsa dancing lessons - we won´t be champions at either!
TrujilloTrujilloTrujillo

The mud city of Chan Chan


Further down the coast we stayed at Huanchaco, famous for it´s surfing fishermen. Here we visited the pre-Inca archaeology sites of Chan Chan, a huge complex of a ruined adobe mud brick city and the Huaca de la Luma (Temple of the Moon), a huge pyramid with amazing wall paintings.

After a couple of days in the huge bustling capital city of Lima, we contined south past the town of Pisco, much of which was destroyed by the recent earthquake. We only saw the edges of the town but almost every house had been badly damaged and we saw many people still living in UN tents.

Our next destination was Nasca to see the famous Nazca lines, but on the way there we took a boat to the Ballestas Islands where we saw dolphins, sea lions and other sea life at close quarters and then onto the Huacachina Oasis in the middle of the desert for an adrelanin rush dune buggying and sand boarding. The Nazca lines were amazing, a vast sequence of lines, pictures and patterns carved into the desert floor by a pre-inca culture. A light aircraft over the lines is the only way to
HuanchacoHuanchacoHuanchaco

Reed surf boards used by the local fishermen
see them so this has given rise to all sorts of ET theories as to how and why the lines were made although it did result in a stomache churning experience.

After Nazca we started to move inland, ascending back towards the Andes. Arequipa is Puru´s second city and has a beautiful old city centre, the highlight of which was the Santa Catalina convent. The convent was built for nuns from the upper classes and their servants. It was like a city within a city with houses and streets which look very spanish.






Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Ballestas IslandsBallestas Islands
Ballestas Islands

Chilling in the sun
Huacachina OasisHuacachina Oasis
Huacachina Oasis

A real Mad Max adventure
Nazca Lines Nazca Lines
Nazca Lines

Can you see what it is yet?
Nazca streetlifeNazca streetlife
Nazca streetlife

A unique business enterprise
Chauchilla CemeteryChauchilla Cemetery
Chauchilla Cemetery

Mummies in the desert
Santa Catalina NunnerySanta Catalina Nunnery
Santa Catalina Nunnery

A view from the rooftop


15th October 2007

Do all the nuns wear Lifesaver T-shirts?
15th October 2007

Nazca Lines!
I'm so jealous you saw those! I remember well the whole Chariots of the Gods thing from the 70's - read the book and watched the various documentaries. Great photo!

Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.2562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb