Lake Sandoval


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Madre de Dios
May 19th 2016
Published: May 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The alarm went off at 5:00 again this morning, breakfast at 5:30 and off at 6:00.

Breakfast is just my sort of thing - a chance to select a variety of fresh fruit, pineapple, papaya and water melon with different grains, raisins and this morning dried bananas. The latter were sticky and sweet.

A short boat trip took us down river to Tambopata National Reserve. We then walked along a muddy track for about 3km. We passed an entrance hut with a map of nature reserves and national parks in Peru which I felt obliged to take a picture of. We are in the bottom right hand corner.

We passed an impressive termite mound and eventually came to a collection of long canoes. The lake is the remnant of an oxbow lake from the main river - but is big, much bigger than most Broads at home.

We then canoed round the lake looking for wildlife. Macaws flew overhead and we saw five species of heron in the space of 100 yards. Tiny bats lined up down a tree could have easily been missed.

Then a 4km walk back through the rainforest spotting leaf cutter ants and dusky titi monkeys.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb