IQUITOS: Into the Mighty Amazon


Advertisement
South America » Peru » Loreto » Iquitos » Amazon Rainforest
November 6th 2008
Published: November 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Biodiversity. Noun. A sterile and clinical term, which in no way prepares you for full immersion into the throbbing and pulsating reality of the jungle, as it teems with a mindblowing multitude of minute to massive lives, living with and on each other. It is simply not possible for the humble human to appreciate more than a small portion of the complexity of this utterly unique environ. But to ge... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 73, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

SnackSnack
Snack

Always time for a protein loaded snack. Overcoming some measure of aversion, Benj chews the grub of a palm seed pod. It tastes of ... coconut.
Gerson and friendGerson and friend
Gerson and friend

This customer looked fantastic as it tentatively felt its way from tender step to tender step.
Piranha huntPiranha hunt
Piranha hunt

Benj proved an ability to pull the fish. Probably inherited trait, although he has many childhood (and recent memories) of his father returning home empty handed.
Arlene the huntress.Arlene the huntress.
Arlene the huntress.

This exercise was more about her feeding the fish. And they helped her out, while she projected mental images to NOT get caught on the metal bit.
Huge lilly padHuge lilly pad
Huge lilly pad

This was on the edge of the river
Clown treeClown tree
Clown tree

This guy sheds his bark, changing colour every month.
TeachersTeachers
Teachers

The village has its own school, which pools kids from surrounding villages. They start at 10 yrs.
Kids, kids, kidsKids, kids, kids
Kids, kids, kids

Whereever you go, kids are the same. This female effigy is permanently scratched into the board.
Full on volleyballFull on volleyball
Full on volleyball

We turned up for a nice friendly game - the money was down, and there was no laughter here. It was a bit too full on for us tender types.
DedicationDedication
Dedication

As we raced into the edges bush chasing a nice looking snake, Pedro our boatman slipped.
LagunaLaguna
Laguna

Not so clear, but lovely swimming on a sweltering hot day. And dont mind the little fish nibbling at your toes. You wont be able to see how big they actually are.
Glorious.Glorious.
Glorious.

And the views also.
RoadblockRoadblock
Roadblock

These guys were actually in the park in Iquitos. And none of them were going anywhere really.



23rd November 2008

incredible!
Wow, this looks like the experience of a lifetime. I must show these photos to Rob, he has always wanted to see the Amazon. The no child sex signs are a bit scary and depressing indeed.
29th October 2009

great info for jungle travel
Enjoyed very much your great article - it paints such a picture of the true jungle - and how much it helps the villagers - Gerson and Tío Luis sound knowledable. I will pass on this info the visitors who stay a the grings's house - I am always asked for recommendations. Good job!
9th November 2009

amazon and Gerson
We are going to Rio in 10 days!And we booked a tour with Gerson!So exicted!:) U seemed to have an amazing time!
16th November 2009

Is he trusted?
Hey man.I am booking a tour with Gerson.And he wants me to pay half now.And half when I get there.I am currently in Finland.And will be in Iquitos in a months time.Is he trusted? Please answer asap.Thanks!

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb