First Glimpse of Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima
July 13th 2012
Published: July 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What a change from Buenos Aires! Weather is warm, people are friendly and smiling, and its sooo much more affordable! We can even treat ourselves to some dulce de leche ice cream 😊

Lima is situated right next to the coast, with weather very similar to Durban – muggy and warm! Nice to be in short sleeves, if only for 3 days before we head up north again to the Cordillera Blanca mountain range tonight (8 hour bus trip!).

The suburb we’re in is right next to the coast, on a massive beach cliff. We’ve been a bit hesitant to walk to close to the edge, but it seems that they are either very trusting of these ‘sandy’ stone cliffs, or the building regulations are somewhat sketchy…either way, they make for great viewing of the Pacific Ocean. They are also very popular with paragliders who can be seen everywhere.

We visited a pre-Inca pyramid ruin (1500 years old), which happens to be right in the middle of the suburbs. We thought we were lost whilst walking up and down a few streets, but we turned the last corner and it was like whoa! there's a huge ass pyramid in the middle of the suburb! Very hard to miss...

The food here is also so yummy! I wondered around the veggie and fruit aisle for ages, gobsmacked at the huge variety of potatoes and corn! Purple and green and brown coloured mielies. Cant wait to munch our way through some good corn.

The very popular Inca Kola, is somewhat of a acquired taste but the Peruvians have a passion for their bubble-gum-flavoured nuclear yellow ‘gaseosa’ or soft drink. (Sidenote: James has had his 3rd bottle and is apparently now acquiring the taste!!)

We've also tried the local delicacy of Ceviche which is delicioso! Raw fish marinated in lime juice with chilies and coriander – add to that some roasted corn kernels and a type of tartar sauce and you’ve got yourself a winner winner of a dish!

Our Spanish is coming along veryyyy slowly but we did have an incident today with a taxi driver who was completly lost whilst taking us back to our hostel, and our little bit of spanglish came in very handy.

And to top of a great start to Peru, James managed to replace his Fuji camera! He contacted Fujifilm Peru, who just happened to be a few km’s down the road, and they amazingly only had one 'X10' model in the country!! So he is one chuffed happy snapper again, and the price was actually a bit cheaper than in SA, so chuffed x2.

Til next time T&J


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



14th July 2012

Sounds great fun - love the tea in the park!
14th July 2012

Inca Cola! I've read the book (I think). Looks amazing - especially the topiary. Glad you got a replacement camera (that truly would have been awful ;) ).
15th July 2012

Hello Max and James, just caught up with you travels, sounds like fun.
16th July 2012

Awesome photos. Looks like gr8 fun. Thats good news about the camera. Travel safe
18th July 2012

Peru looks lovely. So glad you got your camera sorted. Surprised you didn't try the paragliding! The tea garden is so cute, not so sure about the cat park though. Safe travels to the mountains. Take care. X

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb