Arrived Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
August 25th 2008
Published: September 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mami PanchitaMami PanchitaMami Panchita

Hostal Mami Panchita in San Miguel, a market and residential district of Lima. My room faced the street to the right, Avenida Gallis
Midwestern Gringo Arrives in Lima

Arrived Hostal Mami Panchita, arriving shortly after midnight. Lima plane was 1.75 hours late
leaving and had to fly around turbulence in Panama.

Made the Chi -- Miami plan with just a few minutes to spare. There was some delay getting a
man established in a seat on the plane headed for Chicago.

The driver from Mami was there to pick me up after I exited through custom gate, a relief for one fresh to Lima and Peru. My limited Spanish will get a work out.

There was a throng of people with names on placards waiting for their people. Once
outside the airport grounds one knows they are in Lima--not Madrid for example. The shanty towns are just outside the airport near the Callou District.

This hostal would be impossible to find on one´s own. The driver addresses the night guard, and manuevers into a small car park inside the walls of the hostal. This isn´t in the city center, but the district of San Miguel, a residential area of flats. Miras Flores the nice area is 20 minutes by taxi. Mami Panchita is Dutch owned, and a Dutch couple in their 50s are sitting nearby reading and having tea as they wait for the ride to the airport. They are from a small town I can´t pronounce or spell.

Mami is an older spanish style villa, patio in the middle, maybe 16 rooms. Mine is in front, facing the street. Tomorrow I´ll take the city tour that the company associated with this hostal operates.

On the trip to Lima I chatted with a man from Mexico who works for a produce company based in Miami that has farms of Basil and other ´´aroromatic´´ herbs in northern Peru, the Trujillo area.

First night in Lima; all´s well. There is hot water.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb