Livin la vida Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
July 3rd 2007
Published: May 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Loving Lima and Peru and everything that´s going on in general for this trip right now. New excellent guide, refreshing small group of 7 with no whining people, and very cool cultural stuff happening. Feeling super excited about the next three weeks and best adventures yet to come.

Since I wrote I´ve had a massive cultural injection and found my dancing groove, let alone some good Afro-Peruvian music. Perfect blend of drumming African beats and salsa soul, have bought plenty of CDS to share for some loungeroom dancing on my return 😊

A few days ago we set off for some amazing Moche or pre-Inca Sun and Moon temples. It´s really incredible to stand on a pyramid, look at the chosen place of a civilisation at the base of a protective mountain and imagine how they lived. Sand surrounding the site, gorgeous frescoes of gods of nature, the spiritual connection a group of people had with their natural changing universe so present. WOW!

After that, a massive archaeological site called Chan Chan, almost 18km square adobe mud brick city! So organic and earthy, swollen curved walls weathered by time. Ocean motifs for harvest and fertility and huge spaces to accomodate massive groups of people. Loved it.

Stops at seaside town along the way south and then a long bus ride to get to Lima where we arrived last night. Sombre, undulating sandhills moulded into the distant Andes as we floated past all day on the road to Lima. The dry, luna landscape permeated the mood of the bus. Chunky, volcanic rocks occassionally inhabitated by tumble down shacks litter the highway. The 10 hours to get to the city was cheered up by a strange game of Spanish Bingo on the loud speaker. WHAT?

Sitting in an overcast twilight zone I stared from my protective bus bubble as Peru unfolded before me all day. The road close to Lima changed into towering, soft sand mountains crashing down into the ocean. The road slices through the brown walls like a ribbon matching the coastline. One of my favourite bus rides yet! A heavy fog from the ocean weighs down the road and cloaks the city of Lima year round. It never rains but always looks like it´s going too.

Saturday night in Lima, surprisingly it´s a modern city, surrounded by poor areas but thriving with music and everything you need in a city. Spent the night exploring, danced till 3am at a gay night club with my lesbian room mate Mandy and all the fun loving gay people of Lima. A drag show by tallish Peruvian men completed the weirdness of a full moon overseas surrounded by strangers. Priscilla music and Kylie songs balanced with hot salsa tunes made the night even more surreal. So much fun. Dancing really is a universal language.

Visited the Archaelogical museum today, feeling the past spirituality of the ancient people, excited about what´s to come and heading to Pisco and the coast for some more sea lion experiences in the next couple of days.

Love to all
Kris
xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb