Día 17


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lambayeque » Chiclayo
July 17th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Oy, lots to share and it´s already 11:00pm... can´t get to sleep too late tonight either. Long day ahead tomorrow!

Here we go!

Day 17 started with a busride (in our tour bus) to an archaelogical museum, Museo Arqueologico Nacional Bruning, which offered a collection of ancient Peruvian artifacts from the pre-Incan period through the Incan period. As we were leaving the museum, we had another opportunity to see the local protestors, marching in the streets and escorted by the local police. For more information on the current strike in Perú, visit Peruprotests

Off to lunch at El Rincón del Pato, where I had my first and last taste of tortilla de raya, or stingray tortilla. A little fishy for me. I did, however, enjoy the Cocktail de Algarrobina, a drink made from carob. For the recipe, click cocktailalgarrobina

The restaurant had plastic bags filled with water hanging throughout the dining area. They use these as a fly repellent; since the water magnifies reflections, the flies think a larger fly is coming at them as they approach the bag, and they turn away. Wonder if that works for mosquitos or japanese beetles?

After lunch, we took a trip to Eten, which is a local town on the Pacific Ocean. Loved walking on the beach! Fiore took a swim, but it was a little cold for the rest of us. We did dare to walk the pier though...

On the way back from the beach we stopped at the plaza in Eten, where I found some neat little Peruvian crafts and a lovely little butcher´s market. Check out the pictures!

About an hour at the hotel to regroup before leaving for dinner, which we ate at Fiesta, a very popular restaurant that serves typical Peruvian cuisine. An appetizer of pupa (or octopus), yuca balls, and chicken tamales. Yes, I tried it all! But wait! For dinner they served duck, which I was not a big fan of, but did taste it, and cabrito, or baby goat, which I also tried. Try anything once, right? (Twice if I like it!)

Most of the group went back to the hotel after dinner, but a few of us decided to check out the new shopping center just a few blocks away, The Plaza Real. I found some great cargo pants at Topy Top, and also picked up a backpack, which was something I didn´t bring with me to Perú.

Now back at the hotel finishing up this entry, then it´s off to bed! Tomorrow we have our first day of observations at the military academy.

Buenas noches,
Alyssa



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb