On the road again... (Tomorrow)


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Junin » La Merced
June 8th 2008
Published: June 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we are officially done the volunteering portion of the trip. Even though the kids were energetic to say the least, we miss them already. Even Victor Hugo and his hair pulling tendancies. Others we shall miss are spider man, who will go nowhere without his spider man costume, Carlos and his young love Melanie, Eduardo and his young love Carlos, Mayerly and her innability to eat on her own, and Victor Kevin ad his toothless smile.
Once we realized that the kids were better behaved when we gave them something to do (something the teachers didn´t always) they quickly learned "What time is it Mr. Wolf" and stella ella ola. Both of which they wanted to play at every moment of every day.
We´ll miss having discussions about the best Cevicheria (see last entry) with the older kids, and swapping songs (head shoulers was a popular one).
On monday we had the opportunity to go to Pampa Michi, the native community we visited earlier in the trip-- only this time without all of the touristy accoutrements. It was interesting to see the village not in tourist mode, although some of the kids had the best english we have heard in the Jungle, courtesy of tourists.
Last weekend, we ventured out on our own to "La Velo de la Novia" a waterfall which literally translates to the girlfriends hair. To get to this waterfall, we had to spend half an hour in the back of a moto taxi that was not made to carry three people up a steep steep mountain. Andrea was once asked to shift over to Kristina´s side so we wouldn´t tumble over the edge. Needless to say, the waterfall was beautiful and Andrea is now in a Peruvian family´s vacation photos. We took moto taxi back down and Kristina learned that "there ain´t nothin´nicer" than careening down a slope at full speed drinking a coconut.
We are leaving our jungle home and all associated moto taxis, on Sunday and going to Lima, then off to Cusco. More from the land of the Incas!
Kris and Andreita (that´s right, we have nicknames here)

Advertisement



8th June 2008

Bon Voyage girls Have a great trip and oh do stay out of trouble From both your Moms

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb