George, George, George of the Jungle


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Junin » La Merced
May 31st 2008
Published: May 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We haven´t actually met anyone named george here, but we are looking out for trees.
(andrea laughs hystericaly for a few minutes)
We arrived in the jungle on tuesday, and to our homestay, which is very, open concept in as much as none of the hallways have roofs. What do they do in the rainy season? We are living with a local Pastor, and family, so don´t expect any shenannigans like our last trip to the jungle (Kristina sighs and has had to curb her 4:30 am dancing. The 4:30 pm dancing however is still going strong-- apparently the kids think its funny).
We are volunteering at INABIF which is a centre where underprivelaged children and elderly people come during the day. In the mornings, we work with a group of kids 8-12, first helping them with their homework (our spanish math is getting better every day) and then we are instrumental in aiding the girls team in a rousing, and highly dangerous game of keep away. We´re served lunch at the centre, which is a very Oliver Twist experience, except for the giant portions. If anyone did ask for more however, I feel like the whole room might break into song. The food is great, save for the occaisional surprise. For instance, yesterday Andrea was peacefully enjoying her soup, when the boy next to her reached into identical bowl of soup and delightedly pulled out a chicken´s foot which he proceeded to eat with gusto. Andrea suddenly became very full.
After lunch, we work with 20 kids aged 5-6 generally preforming crowd control and first aid. They are the most hyperactive kids that we have ever met in our entire lives, and kristina, although she appreciates how special and delightful they all are seperately, hopes that she will never meet a group so energetic for the rest of her life.
The main mode of transportation here is the moto taxi, which is exactly what it sounds. Essentially, it is a motorcycle with an extra wheel and a cab that will fit two people comfortably in the back. I would to meet the person who thought ¨why not take a motorcycle and fit more people on it! that sounds like a brilliant plan!¨ In reality, they look like lego toys from a theme park, but sure beat walking.
At home, we are eating amazingly, including a full meaty breakfast every morning. We think they´re trying to fatten us up-- and succeeding. We beginning to become susupicious of the giant oven and delicious candy walls. For breakfast every morning we are offered what we assumed were instant coffee and hot chocolate powder. Both of these substances in fact turned out to be barley. Who knew you could get such versatility from such simple member of the cereal family.
Another interesting facet of life here is that no one speaks english. At all. It definately a learning experience to be completely surrounded by a foreign language and definately means you pick it up quickly. On the plus side, private conversations can be had at any time and volume without risking eavesdropping.
This weekend promises lots of waterfalls and probably more barley.
Hope everyone at home is healthy and happy!
Chau, Kristina and Andrea

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb