The Mysterious Nazca Lines


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
September 11th 2010
Published: September 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

***Sorry guys few days behind with blog due to no internet connection, but should be fully up to date over the weekend, Including Cusco and the Inka Trail . . . Anyway onto Nazca ***

After a great couple of days sandboarding and chilling in Huacachina we headed to Nazca about 2 1/2 hours away, mainly to see the famous Nazca Lines. The Nazca lines are engravings of various animals/shapes including a dog, a monkey, a triangle, a condor and a spider.

The lines have have been etched into the ground and can only be seen from the air, so we took a small jet plane over the lines to view them properly. No one knows how they got there or when. The plane was tiny with only 4 passengers, the pilot and a guide to point out the lines. It was a pretty rough ride as the plane had to swoop from side to side to see all the lines, especially for Vix who isn't the greatest flyer at the best of times!! It was pretty spectacular although taking photos was very tricky.

After landing we returned to Nazca and explored the small town, which took about 10 minutes as it only consisted of a small square (which was fairly modern by peruvian standards) and a few local shops and restaurants. We did, however, find a small brasserie where we probably ate the best food so far on our trip - It sold chicken fresh off the spit and other grilled peruvian dishes which were all amazing.

Our hostel - The Walk on Inn, was nice but very basic in comparison to our previous places and claimed to have a pool which really consisted of an extra large bath with no water in it.
As it was about 90 degrees we managed to find a nice hotel which we sneaked into and spent the afternoon sunbathing.

After a quick freshen up and a bite to eat we had to make our way to the local bus terminalfor our 15 hour overnight bus to the town of Cusco which is some 3600m above sea level . . . .

Lots of Love

S & V
x



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb