Nazca Lines


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
July 18th 2007
Published: July 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we had a very early start ( 3am!) to catch our bus to see the Nazca Lines. The Nazca Lines are (in case like me you didnt know) a series of geoglyphs located in the Nazca Desert, created by the Nazca culture between 200 BC and 700 AD. There are hundreds of individual figures, ranging from simple lines to stylized hummingbirds, spiders, monkeys, and lizards. There is a lot of mystery surrounding the Nazca Lines, like who they were made by and why, so we were very intrigued to see them for ourselves.

The bus journey was a real eye opener. Before now all we had seen of Peru was Lima, which was quite a cosmopolitan city but this was completely different. Amanda and I both thought we had awoke from our sleep on the moon! Miles and miles of desolate landscape but with loads of small empty huts which soon turned into little developing towns. It was quite shocking to think that people actually lived here.

We arrived in Nazca ¨city´seven hours later completely shattered, and headed to our hotel which was handily situated just across the road from a small airport that took flights over the Nazca lines. So we booked our 30 minute flight and took off over the Nazca Desert. The lines are best recognised from air and things were going well at first until I got the WORST motion sickness ever. The pilot was swerving from left to right and and at times flying with no hands and not looking! meanwhile I was in the back seat turning green and clutching my sick bag for dear life. Apart from that Amanda managed to get some good photos. Our favourite drawing was the "spaceman" which is basically a little alien looking guy which has been etched onto the side of a hill.

There´s not much else to see in Nazca so after the flight we headed back to our hotel for some rest as we had another eight hour bus ride the next day.






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb