The Sacred Valley


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Ollantaytambo
January 20th 2006
Published: January 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Sacred ValleyThe Sacred ValleyThe Sacred Valley

A view over part of the Sacred Valley, on the way to Pisac
We departed from the hotel at 8am, was met by our new guide for the next few days, Julio.

We had to bring a day bag from now on, to be used for the Inca Trail, and were given a bag to carry no more than 5kg for our other essenstials.

We first visited an Incan site on the edge of the City, a former Incan military site named Saksaywaman. We then drove on to the Sacred Valley. Again the views are incredible, the film The Sound of Music could almost be filmed here. We drove to the small town of Pisac. Pisac has a big local market, so we were given time to do the touristy thing and do some shopping.

Then on to another amazing Incan site ( cant remember the name ). We left there and then back on the road. Stopped for lunch, and a bit further down the road we visited a local type of pub in a village. They brew beer that is very strong, and anything more than two pints could seriously do some damage! These ´pubs´ are distinguised by a beanpole and a small red flag!

We then made
The Sacred ValleyThe Sacred ValleyThe Sacred Valley

Julio explaining how local beer is made on the way to Ollantaytambo
our way to the last stop of the day, the only living Incan town in the world of Ollantaytambo. The town again was beautiful, and had an amazing Incan ruin.

That night we were to stay with a local family. Our host was a lady called Doris! We had a lovely meal, a game of cards, and then to bed, which was a bit damp and cold. The rooms of the house were small, and the ceilings very low. The shower only had cold water, and the water even stopped in the night! I didn´t sleep too well, and then we were up the next morning at 7am, to start the Inca trail!!!! Everyone now was gearing up for the next four days hiking the Andes mountains that lay ahead....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb