Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
August 25th 2013
Published: September 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

25 Aug Day 13: AguasCalientes – Machu Picchu - Cusco

The day has arrived! There have been many special locations and events, some anticipated - seeing the Condors, spending time with the family at lake Titicaca - and some not totally expected - just how much I liked and enjoyed Arequipa - but for me getting to Machu Picchu was always the ultimate prize. So the day is here. Our itinerary reads: - "Early wake up at 04:00 am and after breakfast we need to wait at the Bus Terminal to get our bus. The first Bus to Machupicchu depart at 5:30am ( 8Hrs in Machupicchu). After 30 minutes of bus ride we are at the entrance of Machu Picchu ready for our guided visit, 3 hours guided tour with our expert tour guide, he will show and walk with you through the most remarkable sectors areas, temples, residences, altars and he will offer a relevant history and archaeology informations. After the guided tour you will have extra time to explore by yourself; climbing the the sun gate “Inti-Punku”, walking to Inca Bridge.".

The thing to remember, dear reader, is that the weather for the last couple of days
Why move the rock.Why move the rock.Why move the rock.

Build on it and save construction costs
has been terrible. And, the weather forecast is for a 90% chance of rain. Well why don't we call that 100% - it's been chucking it down all night. No need for quite the urgent start to be there in time to see the sun rise over the Sun Gate. There'll be a sunrise (it isn't the end of the world), but we won't be seeing it today! Undaunted, we set out - waterproof clothing in place and anticipation in our hearts.

The bus ride up was a bit hairy with a sheer drop on one side, a slippery road and a driver (it doesn't seem to matter which one, they all drive the same) who didn't seem to entertain the idea that there might be a bus coming down the mountain with a driver with the same lack of thought in his mind! In retrospect the first ride up wasn't too bad but in the moment... and for the first time.

Upon arrival the weather had calmed down a bit so I actually took my waterproof pants off. At least I had the option - poor Liz came up the mountain with her waterproof pants over compression
The houses look goodThe houses look goodThe houses look good

Shame about the view behind it
longs and for some reason seemed reluctant to remove the overpants. Anyway the tour commenced with Edward leading the way after the obligatory showing of passport and travel permit - why I still can't understand. But, when in Rome...

I have to admit that Edward's knowledge was outstanding with a few of his own theories thrown in for good measure. He also did a debunk of the alien theory. It was all extremely enlightening. Edward kept stressing the fact that 60% of Machu Picchu is undergoing with the amount of drainage involved to help keep the terraces and the city stable on its mountain perch. Apart from the obvious engineering feat of the fact of the physical location of the city, the other major engineering feat is the earthquake proofing actually designed into the buildings. One of the the notable things is that all the buildings have bricked in windows and that they are a trapezoid shape with angled walls (again thicker at the bottom than the top) all designed to take up the shock of earthquakes.

One of the first things I noticed, because it ran contrary to what I was expecting, is that not all the buildings in Machu Picchu use the close cut rocks that fit together almost without seams. Thats not to say that the rest of the buildings were thrown together but it was certain special buildings that came in for the special treatment. Overall it was a great tour of the city with magnificent views of the nearby mountains - well it would have been except for the clouds and fog. It actually did fine up a bit, later and some of the photos were great because what one always sees in the brochures and publicity shots is the perfect sunny day with clear skies. I've got some great shots when its not like that and there are some great effects with the cloud and the fog curling around the mountains.

Meanwhile the Inca Trail team were up at about 4:00 am for the privilege of joining a line to be able to get through a check point to be amongst the first to get to the Sun Gate to see Machu Picchu ... covered in cloud. Well perhaps that's overstating it a bit. It was more just cloud.

We had to be back at Aguas Calentes by 2:00pm to say farewell to Edward. After the guided tour was complete we had time to further explore the city which we did and we also decided to make a flying visit up to the Sun Gate to get some pictures from there (note comment above). The view like every-where else was great. At this point I do need to relate the fact that during our explorations Liz placed her camera in the pocket of her waterproof pants - which didn't have one, just a hole. I did tell Liz I wouldn't mention this event but some stories have to be told, eh Liz? After the Sun Gate we "ran" back to catch a bus and actually made it with a few minutes to spare and see off Edward.

I probably should take a moment to say a few words about Edward and his Rock Legend status with Liz. He is kind to children, less young women, the poor, a saver of fouls (at some risk to his personal safety), and an all round good fellow and aside from that he knew his stuff about Machu Picchu, unless it was just very convincing bullshit.

Also I should mention the gentleman
The Sun templeThe Sun templeThe Sun temple

Temple in the Clouds might be a more appropriate name today.
with the check-in, who walked on the Inca Trail with Maryalina, Don and Garry. Liz and I were eager to find out how that side of it went (you know apart from the minor things like rain, sleet, snow, strong winds, cold etc). It turned that on the trail he was great value, had a great sense of humour and in fact became a sort of a mascot (which is probably appropriate given his diminutive stature). He did say later that he liked Peru because its one of the few places in the world where he can be with people his own size.

The rest of the day was spent catching up, swapping tales and of course some shopping.

Pen? Well Pen was so excited he wouldn't shut up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

And as the fog lifts...And as the fog lifts...
And as the fog lifts...

There's a city there as well.
Spot the Inca workSpot the Inca work
Spot the Inca work

and then try to pick the 20th/21st century restoration methods. So hard to pick.
Two construction methodsTwo construction methods
Two construction methods

Could this be the divede between the haves and the have nots?
1950's Experimatation1950's Experimatation
1950's Experimatation

This was an experiment from the 1950's to determine how the Incas managed to split the rock. "So perhaps if we butcher this block no one will notice"
The latest pitch rolling techniquesThe latest pitch rolling techniques
The latest pitch rolling techniques

Who needs all this mechanical stuff.
The Southern CrossThe Southern Cross
The Southern Cross

Now if you squint the right way and turn the picture upside down and then use your imagination it is possible to see it. The Southern Cross was apparently an important star set to the Incas.
Acoustic ChamberAcoustic Chamber
Acoustic Chamber

This room actually did have fantastic acoustics. I don't know who figured out to stick your head in the window and have one-time talk into the window at the other end though.
ObeliskObelisk
Obelisk

The top left corner of the Obelisk has a chip out of it. It occurred during a riotous ritual event - the making of a beer commercial. The beer is good though.
Room with a viewRoom with a view
Room with a view

Talk about choosing a location that can't have the view blocked.


24th November 2013

Nice blog. It's like walking next to you. The Machu Picchu is one place I am dying to see or I want to see before I die, lol...U gave me some ideas how to do it. Tnx.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb