Riding the Rails


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
July 20th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again! We are finally finding some spare time to write a few entries about the last few days.

When we last wrote we were heading to Machu Picchu. We arrived there by train on the Vistadome, a nice way to travel with huge windows and skylights for viewing the mountain scenary as you zig-zag up the mountain. Once we entered the gate to Machu Picchu, we were both amazed at the majesty of this ancient site. We climbed up through the agricultural terraces which gave us beautiful views down to the ruins as well as Wayna Picchu in the background. It was an overwhelming experience, everywhere we looked we wanted to take a photograph! We also met some very friendly llamas, who are in charge of maintaining the grass on the terraces and throughout the site.

It was the perfect way to end our stay in the Cusco and surrounding area. We returned to Cusco after a very long but entertaining train ride (on board fashion show by the PeruRail staff, set to 09's dance mix!!). We had a very lovely dinner in the Plaza des Armes (main square) to celebrate our visit to Machu Picchu.

The following morning we boarded another train (!), this time bound for Puno, Peru. The train was called the Andean Explorer, it is the only one that runs from Cusco to Puno and is a very elegant style of travel. The ride was 11 hours long but luckily our chairs were wingback chairs, we were served breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea on linen tablecloths with superb service. The train car interior was mahogany with wall sconces and small table lamps. It felt like we were true, albeit stylish Andean Explorers. On the journey we crossed through various dramatic landscapes with numerous remote mountain villages. The largest town we travelled through was Juliaca. This town literally operates around the railroad track - massive market place on both sides of the tracks, even items for sale laid between the rails!

We arrived in Puno in the evening and stayed in a very nice hotel on the shores of Lake Titicaca. From here we head to Copacabana, Bolivia.

Cheers to all!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb