Machu Picchu, Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
September 14th 2018
Published: May 21st 2021
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lima to Cusco to Machu Picchu, Peru


After a wonderful night in Lima, we make our way to Machu Picchu via Cusco. We had a good journey to Cusco looking at the Peruvian landscape, and after a decent ride, we make it to our destination. We three are excited to be here. One of us, not me, could speak the language which was very helpful. Our tour to Machu Picchu was the next morning, and we wanted to be fresh when we arrived. As we did in Lima, we walk around Cusco a bit just to get familiar, but we all decided we wanted to be rested up for the upcoming journey, which was realistically the reason for the trip. We have a good supper, head in, and after a good nights sleep, we get up and take a train to Machu Picchu from Cusco.

Now, if one was not faint-hearted, you could make the trip on foot via a multi-day hiking trail, and doing so you'll travel through deep Andean gullies and enjoy stunning views. Saying that...this was not us three. Train was our way to go. We get to the station, purchase our tickets for the train, and wait eagerly to board. Again, I was so excited. As I boarded, and as it was a little bit of a journey, I just settled in and enjoyed the ride. The sights on the train were amazing, and we were served lunch. Many people that know me well, know that I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy. There was some kind of meat and corn served, and believe it or not, I ate my corn. Mom would be so proud! Anyway, we make it to the station, and exit the train. We had to take a bus ride up to the top of the mountain, and once boarded, off we go. Now if you are queasy, you might want to take some motion sickness pills, for this is a winding bus ride on a small road up the mountain. If you meet another bus...well just don't look. What a beautiful ride, and there was so much to see, words can't express the beauty.

Once on the top of the mountain, we meet up with our guide that is going to spend the day with us. After we are all ready with our tickets, in we go. He gives us some tid-bits of information as we are going in, and we are explained the history of Machu Picchu. All along I am just amazed at where I physically am, as well as just knowing the history of this place. I was just anxious to get to the sight to visually see with my own two eyes.

More than 7,000 feet above sea level in the Andes Mountains, and dating to the mid-1400s, it's a marvel of mortar-free limestone architecture perched on a high plateau deep in the Amazonian jungle. Machu Picchu is a symbol of the Incan Empire and built around 1450AD. Machu Picchu was only known locally until Yale Professor Hiram Bingham re-discovered the site in 1911. His book, The Lost City of the Incas, was based on his findings. A long-standing dispute between Peru and Yale University has existed over the artifacts collected by Bingham during his exploration of the site. Yale maintains that they own the items, while Peru insists they were given on loan. Not sure what I believe here, but none the less, glad it was founded because it gives people like me the opportunity of a lifetime to witness this beauty.

We find out that in the Quechua Indian language, “Machu Picchu” means “Old Peak” or “Old Mountain.” Other interesting facts are that Machu Picchu is made up of more than 150 buildings ranging from baths and houses to temples and sanctuaries. The compound contains more than 100 separate flights of stairs. Most of the individual staircases were carved from one slab of stone. We were able to walk on one of the flights of stairs, which was quite awesome. Although many of the stones that were used to build the city were more than 50 pounds, it is believed that no wheels were used to transport these rocks up the mountain. Rather, it is thought that hundreds of men pushed the heavy rocks up the steep mountain side. I couldn't even imagine, for the bus ride itself took a minute.

Many different theories exist about Machu Picchu’s purpose—a royal estate and a secret ceremonial center among them. The Incas were some of the best masons in the world. The structures were so well built with a technique called ashlar (stones that are cut to fit together without mortar) that not even a knife blade can fit in between stones. You look at this structure, and it really is amazing to think that was possible. First hand, I saw and believed how crafty these masons were. We also find out that Machu Picchu was an astronomical observatory, and its sacred Intihuatana stone accurately indicates the two equinoxes. Twice a year, the sun sits directly over the stone creating no shadow. Now with all the good, there is some bad. Unfortunately, most cities built by the Inca civilization were destroyed by the Spanish conquest. Machu Picchu was in a hidden location—invisible from below—and not found, making it one of the most well-preserved Inca cities and an archeological gem. You stand on top of this mountain, look 360 degrees, and just see mountain after mountain. How in the world could the Incan's built this place? So beautiful. Our guide allowed us as much time as we needed to snap photos, or to gaze at the beauty. We were there for several hours, and our time came to depart. I snap a lot of photos, and we head back towards the bus. On our way down, there were several Llama's grazing that we stopped and photographed. I got very near to one and did my own selfie. Funny.

All in all, a wonderful visit on this day. To me, it's no wonder Machu Picchu is Peru's most-visited site. We make our way back down the mountain on our bus, and it seemed as if this ride was quicker going down than up for us. What a trip. This was definitely a memory for a lifetime.


Additional photos below
Photos: 167, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb