Cusco and Machu Picchu


Advertisement
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
March 28th 2019
Published: March 31st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our final 5 days in Peru were spent in the heart of the formerly glorious Inca Nation. At its height, when the Spanish arrived in 1523, it stretched from Chile and Argentina to Colombia. It is mind boggling that fewer than 200 Conquistadors destroyed a powerful empire of 15 million! We marvelled at their building skills, without iron, the wheel or animals that could do the hard work, in really de... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Really?Really?
Really?

Our guide showed us this postcard which he insisted had not been doctored. Taken from the right angle in the right lighting I can see it being possible. I think a lens slightly distorted the view.
Inca observatory Inca observatory
Inca observatory

Built to admit sunlight from the summer solstice through the window directly ahead and the winter solstice from the other large window around to the right. Light was projected onto a “calendar” on the large central stone.
IntoHuatana stoneIntoHuatana stone
IntoHuatana stone

More than just a sun dial, but scientists are still not sure of its other functions. No written records unfortunately.
Southern Cross CompassSouthern Cross Compass
Southern Cross Compass

Our guide used the compass on his cell phone to demonstrate the perfect alignment. On our drive back to Cusco we had wonderful views of the Southern Cross and the Milky Way. Interesting that the Inca found llama, pumas and snakes in the stars.
RoofingRoofing
Roofing

All roofs were constructed of wooden beams and Andes grass. Here you can see in a reconstruction how the beams were lashed to stone supports.
Intipunku, the Sun GateIntipunku, the Sun Gate
Intipunku, the Sun Gate

We hiked a further 1000’ above MP on the second day of our visit. We went with new friends David and Christina from London. We agreed later that we may not have done it if not for the other couple as it was raining and all clouded in when we set out.
Intipunku  the Sun GateIntipunku  the Sun Gate
Intipunku the Sun Gate

1000’ above Machu Picchu. It was worth the climb for the superb view.
Sun GateSun Gate
Sun Gate

At the winter solstice the sun shines directly through the large gate to the left, then through the window of the observatory below. The Inca people were accomplished astronomers.
TerracingTerracing
Terracing

These were designed to prevent erosion and are filled with gravel, not used for cultivation. The American Bingham took credit for discovering Machu Picchu after being led there by locals. Now, most of the treasures from the site are displayed at Yale University which helped finance his expedition. Bingham is not well loved by the guides.
The clouds roll back inThe clouds roll back in
The clouds roll back in

Somehow it added to the mystique of Machu Picchu to see it shrouded in cloud.
Quechua ChristianityQuechua Christianity
Quechua Christianity

This painting is displayed in the Cusco Cathedral and we have seen similar versions in Quito and Lima of the Last Supper. Note the meal on the table is cuy, guinea pig. The figure lower right where Judas belongs is the loathed Pizarro, conquerer of the Inca. The Peruvian artist got away with it!
“The Black Jesus”“The Black Jesus”
“The Black Jesus”

Also on display in Cusco Cathedral. I had to buy postcards as photos are strictlcly forbidden. The salesperson knew exactly which postcards I wanted before I asked! The Spanish tried everything to convert the conquered Inca people to Christianity, including burning their priests at the stake. When they realized that the Inca people needed physical images that they could relate to, the Spanish made a number of these images of Christ on the cross. It seems to have had moderate success.
Farewll drinkFarewll drink
Farewll drink

We spent several really enjoyable days with David & Christina.
Incan Farewell!Incan Farewell!
Incan Farewell!

This very talented performer really looked the part and could play a whole variety of authentic instruments, for a small fee... And so ends our Great Adventure.



1st April 2019
Incan Farewell!

Grande Finale
After all this adventure and exercise I think you two need to find a nice cosy place by a beach where you can veg out for a while and design photo books! :)

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb