Cusco & Archeology


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
September 4th 2006
Published: October 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

CuscoCuscoCusco

Plaza de Armas
I've spent quite a time exploring the archeology of Cusco and of its surroundings, and no doubt - it was worth it.
The stone work of those Incas is incredible, and it was very interesting to see the artifacts of the many pre-Inca cultures that had evolved into the Inca empire.
It's also incredible that the Incas had managed to construct so much in only a hundred years.
Very little is known about the Incas today, mainly since the Spaniards have destroyed any record of their culture, killing the elite, destroying their knowledge. It's such a pity, as the Inca culture was much more advanced in some areas.

One example to it is the Santo Domingo convent, which was at first an important temple of the Incas. There you can see great stonework of the Incas, ruined in some places by the Spaniards' reconstruction of it into a convent.

Another example of the Incas' technology level is their achievements in the field of agriculture.
They'd built huge 'labs', in which they've been trying to adopt different crofts to different climates and temperatures.
As a result of their work, today in Peru there are more than 600 different types of potatoes, each one with different properties. Almost like agricultural engineers today...

Cusco itself is also a very nice city, and I've enjoyed there some good nightlife, and had the chance to meet interesting people, including Dunker who was a great guide for us to a few sites.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

QuadsQuads
Quads

Yep, again. I like it!
Santo Domingo ConventSanto Domingo Convent
Santo Domingo Convent

The original urban plan of Cusco by the Incas was a puma shape
In a museumIn a museum
In a museum

The Incas had an advanced medicine, including operations
In a museumIn a museum
In a museum

Incas' elite used to distort their heads, as a symbol of a social class


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 92; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb