City Tour of Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
October 21st 2012
Published: October 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The CathedralThe CathedralThe Cathedral

On the Plaza de Armes in Cusco
I’m taking medication to help with altitude sickness. I arrived in Cusco and felt breathless at times but not sick.



The guide was at the airport waiting with a sign for me and that was the way it was for the whole trip. A guide showed up at every point to show me what to do and explain the sights or tell about where to go. It was impressive. It is a good system with different people at each place, but they were dependable and always there.



From the airport the driver took me to the hotel while the guide explained every step in the itinerary and made sure that I understood everything. I had some time to rest before the city tour of Cusco.



The first stop on the tour was the Cathedral of Cusco. The most famous object in the Cathedral is the painting of the last supper by a Quechua painter. Christ and the Twelve are dining on guinea pig and other local foods.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcos_Zapata



Photos aren’t allowed in the Cathedral so I don’t have a photo of the painting.


Korikancha TempleKorikancha TempleKorikancha Temple

The Inca Sun Temple in Cusco.

We then went to see the Inca ruins in Cusco (Cuzco is the preferred spelling in the Quechua language.) and the area. Cusco was the capital empire at the time the Spanish arrived.



Korikancha Temple shows in handiwork of the Inca people although a church was built on the Inca foundation.



http://www.sacred-destinations.com/peru/cusco-koricancha.htm



The massive structure of Sacasayhuaman still impresses although the Spanish ruled took the rocks from the structures to construct building in Cusco.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

SacasayhuamanSacasayhuaman
Sacasayhuaman

The structures still standing show the stonework of the Inca builders.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb