Up the Amazon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
February 3rd 2012
Published: February 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

River tripRiver tripRiver trip

Suzanne paying attention in our main form of transport.- a motorised canoe.
An even more ‘middle of nowhere’ experience – bus, canoe and trek to the camp. Our home is a thatched roof lodge, no outside walls or windows – just a mud wall between us and our neighbours. There is no electricity so we have candles, kerosene lamps and torches (thanks to Lucy for her wind up torch)- and of course eco-loos. Unsurprisingly it is very wet, hot and humid (we’re in the wet season of a tropical rain forest). It’s been a routine of breakfast at 04.30, then off in a canoe, or hike to see the wildlife and bed by 21.30. Two of the rare sightings have been the Harpy Eagle and the Giant Otters (at a distance), but for Suzanne the highlight was catching a Piranha with a stick, a bent pin and a piece of meat.

A special birthday treat for Suzanne was watching 20 Red-Green Macaws at a clay-lick (they eat the clay to neutralize the toxins in the berrys). The Macaws had a scrap with a group of monkeys and easily won. At dinner Suzanne was surprised by all the guides bringing out a birthday cake and singing 'happy birthday' in Spanish.

We were taken to see a village Shaman who showed us lots of plants used in his medicine – ranging from arthritis to impotence, not to mention getting rid of bad spirits.

Although it was another amazing experience it wasn’t as easy to see the wildlife as the jungle was so dense and dark. At leasy John didn't have to edit 100's of photos.

Yet another stressful journey to the airport. This time the problem was a storm which made the mud roads impassable. The canoe took us to the first ‘port’, a motor bike was dispatched to find the bus to no avail, so 30 mins later we were back in the canoe to the next ‘port’ (actually a mud bank with tree roots for steps) along the river. The bus was waiting for us on the road side and off we went at breakneck speed, arriving at the airport (tin shack) at 08.30 for a 09.00 flight – easy peasy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CapybaraCapybara
Capybara

We know you've seen these before but they are rather cute.
Canopy towerCanopy tower
Canopy tower

It was a test of nerves to climb this 130m tower, but an amazing view from the top.John felt inadequate when he saw two photographers with whopping cameras- but Suzanne assured him size isn't everything.
Quiz timeQuiz time
Quiz time

OK geeks - what have we here?
HoatzimHoatzim
Hoatzim

This one may be quite ugly but it is quite rare.
Talented fisherwomanTalented fisherwoman
Talented fisherwoman

Only three people caught Piranhas. As we said size isn't everything but you should see the teeth!
Greater AniGreater Ani
Greater Ani

We've seen this lots of times but it has been difficult to photograph.
Tree rootsTree roots
Tree roots

This is known locally as a 'walking palm' as the airial roots give the impression that it's walking.
Village boysVillage boys
Village boys

Well hardly a village - just two huts.
TarantulaTarantula
Tarantula

Our guide coaxed it out with a stick.
Our jungle bedroomOur jungle bedroom
Our jungle bedroom

No side wall meant that the jungle noises were with us all night.
The ShamanThe Shaman
The Shaman

Our guide Yuri translated for him
Tall treeTall tree
Tall tree

Typical jungle scene
Crested OropendolaCrested Oropendola
Crested Oropendola

It looks like a big blackbird with a bright yellow tail.
Blue DacnisBlue Dacnis
Blue Dacnis

This is the size of a blue tit - viewed from the tower
Saddleback TamarinSaddleback Tamarin
Saddleback Tamarin

He was playing 'peepo' with us.


6th February 2012

Birthday
What a way to celebrate a birthday - you won't forget this one Suzanne. You will be coming home for a rest it seems! Snow here today.
9th February 2012

Pamela birthday greetings
It really was a birthday with a difference. Will we need a rest when we get home? Yes, but we will also need the rowing machine big time! xxx
7th February 2012
Quiz time

Bats of some sort?
7th February 2012
Talented fisherwoman

Your next Facebook profile pic!
7th February 2012
Tarantula

I would have crapped myself!
7th February 2012
Our jungle bedroom

This looks amazing, right up my street- as long as those spiders were no where to be seen!
7th February 2012
Kapok tree 2

Have you shrunk?
9th February 2012
Kapok tree 2

Emily: Various comments
No we haven´t shrunk, far from it. Maybe you have grown! Thought you would like the mossie nets and the spider. Catching the piranha was a real bonus xxx

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb