Cuzco and Australia Day


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
February 3rd 2009
Published: February 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our time in Cuzco was split in two by the Inca Trail, but since the Inca Trail is a completely separate entry, ill add this after.

One thing ive failed to mention about Peru is how much I enjoy their food. Lomo Saltado, Empanadas, Ceviche, Inca Kola all good additions to the culinary tapestry ive been putting together and definite additions to the menu when I get home. Inca Kola is very sweet and unfortunately contains caffeine, so too many is dangerous as I found out after my 4th the day i discovered them. THey taste like a mix of Sunshine Pine and Creaming Soda, which is brilliant! But as I said, dont have too many.

Also, the set menus at small restaurants are as cheap as chips! Often 3 courses from the set menu will be half the price of a main course at the "fancy" restaurants which are targeted at toursits. Indeed all throughout Peru, when you walk into one of these local restaurants, they automatically assume you are either in the wrong spot or dont know whats going on.

Cuzco is a full-on tourist town, with the main square surrounded by travel agencies and overpriced restaurants. But if you go a little bit away from the main square, you can find some great spots.

One was 2 nations restaurant, a mixed Peruvian-Australian restaurant with a great menu and a good host who can point out some things to look out for and to look for.

On days apart from Saturday, the best clubs to go out to are Roots and Mama Afrikas which are both full of gringos who get in for free, jumping the line past locals. Very touristy and not too authentic, but a good crack nonetheless.

Australia Day at Loki Hostel involved cricket football and rugby in the back lawn, much to the horror of non Australians who couldn{t handle the amount of balls flying into their piece of lawn. Eventually we retreated to the bar where the Triple J hottest 100 was on, and copious beers allowed lots of singing and dancing on tables before heading back to Mama Afrikas.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb