A city!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
March 13th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

San Blas PlazaSan Blas PlazaSan Blas Plaza

Cuzco in the morning
Our first day in Cuzco saw us realise we were in another world. A world of tourism and westernisation, a very different one to Bolivia and even Brazil. Our time in Cuzco was relatively short in that we were leaving for the jungle and then had the Sacred Valley and Macchu Picchu to look forward to so we had to jam a lot into a small time frame.

We began the day with a walk around the San Blas area, a nice church and square on the way down the hill to the main plaza we discovered the most divine bakery with empanadas and all things yummy. Of course we did a taste test then headed down to the square.

The main square was absolutely bustling with people and cars. The buildings and Cathedral were beautiful. It was the sort of place that you could while away a few hours just watching. There are people dressed up in traditional clothes who will try and get you to take a photograph of them and people who want to sell you their art, postcards, pens, anything you can imagine. Everywhere you turn there is someone trying to sell you something,
An Inca wallAn Inca wallAn Inca wall

Can´t you tell?
including massages of all things.

After enjoying the atmoshpere we went to the Inca Museum. The museum has Inca artefacts including mummies and skulls, they were probably the most interesting things. They also have pottery and weapons, there is really a lot there to see and we wandered around for a bit on our own. The Incas used to bury their mummies in the foetal position for the afterlife. At the time I just thought the mummies looked really frightened or something, luckily Sophia and Ed had a guide when they went around and they filled us in on the details.

We also went to the Temple of the Sun in Cuzco. It was converted into a church and monastary and all of the gold had been taken from it but some of the original Inca building remained. Really part of the fun was just wandering around the streets and seeing the different people and buildings. We also walked past the 13 sided stone but I am still not sure if we saw the right one.

That night Luciano took us to Peruvian restaurant where we ate guinea pig (it was tough and fiddly, not that nice
The main squareThe main squareThe main square

Nice place in the day
really). We also were entertained by a band with pipes and dancers. I got chosen to go up and dance and nearly died because of the altitude (they love their running when they dance these people). After we went with Ed and Sophia salsa dancing at a local club which was fun when we got the courage to get up and have a dance. It was fun to finally get to dance.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The cathedralThe cathedral
The cathedral

Beautiful church
The temple of the sunThe temple of the sun
The temple of the sun

I´m actually watching a protest roll past I think.


Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb