The journey begins...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
January 27th 2007
Published: January 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

LimaLimaLima

Colonial building in Lima
Have been travelling for 3 weeks but for one reason or another haven't been able to get going with this blog...better late than never right. I'll put up info and photo's for the first 3 weeks as if they were in real time. Just use your imagination. Hopefully from now on i should be ok.

Flew in to Lima on the 6th of Jan and met up with Renee, a good friend of mine on the 7th. We were only in Lima a couple of days and managed to see the old colonial section as well as the more upmarket Miraflores. Neither was too impressive, but you don't go to Peru to see Lima.

Caught up with Kat and Nicole, some friends of Renee from her time in London and had a couple of good nights with them

We flew down to Cusco and managed to avoid any problems with altitude sickness, our main problems on the first night being self induced.

Cusco is a beautiful city, combining elements of the Inca's and the spanish conquistadors. Examples can be seen in art around the city where you can find such paintings as an imitation of The Last
LimaLimaLima

Some guy on a horse
Supper, with JC and his disciples sitting down to a meal of guinea pig. Excellent.

We were going to hit the 4 day hike along the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu, so did a test run to some ruins looking over the city. Not the greatest ruins but the climb was fairly steep. Came thru the test run ok.

Went to some dodgy markets on the outskirts of town where an old woman tried to pickpocket me - she soon felt the wrath of The Crooks Slap, followed by the pointy finger to the face and a few choice words...my mama didn't raise no fool. Hugged valuables very close to body from then on.

Spent our last day in town before the trek getting our stuff together...all the little things you need when you are trekking beyond the reach of civilisation. Crashed early dreaming of little people dancing to pan pipe music in cities hidden above the clouds.

Will let you know how we got on with the trek in the next update.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

LimaLima
Lima

Colonial building
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Funky restaurant in cusco...bathtub table with goldfish inside. Best steak i've had in ages.
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Looking down from Sacsayhuaman
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Ruins at Sacsayhuaman
CuscoCusco
Cusco

Renee at the ruins
CuscoCusco
Cusco

From the ruins above
CuscoCusco
Cusco

By night...population 300,000 not a Mcdonalds in sight. Gotta love that.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb