More rocks than you can throw a stick at!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
April 12th 2008
Published: April 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Julie - Hi everyone...well, we are still in Cusco but leaving today for Ollantaytambo, about 80kms from here lower down in the mountains. From here we will get the train on Tuesday to Machu Picchu. We have had a very relaxing time in Cusco and seen most of the sights...lots and lots of old rocks! I love the archaeological sites, having studied ancient history in school, but I think Marco is a little over them! There are still more to see though...

Marco has been eating his way through Cusco and enjoying everything on offer. I am still not eating much as I had another bout of gastro just as I thought I was coming good. We found a little British pub here the other night and had chips with gravy and watched the big soccer match between local team Cienciano and the Brazilian team Flamingo. Unfortunately the local team lost. We also saw a couple of times demonstrations by the local cocaderos (coca farmers) who are protesting the governments plans to phase out coca farming. It is a huge industry here and many people survive making this living.

On Monday we went to an Incan ruin close by
SacsaywamanSacsaywamanSacsaywaman

In an ancient doorway...built around the 1400s.
Cusco called Sacsaywaman (or Sexy Woman!)...Marco happened to ask a stranger on the street last week for directions and got talking to him and turned out he was a guide for this site. So we booked a private tour with him (Chani) and he showed us around for about 3 hours. We donated some money to him also as he runs a school teaching children the Quechua language. Only about 5% of people in Cusco can speak Quechua so he is making sure it doesn´t die out.

Well, that´s all for now...our next blog should include Machu Picchu which will be the highlight of our trip. Take care...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

CocaderosCocaderos
Cocaderos

Coca farmers protesting in Cusco
White ChristWhite Christ
White Christ

Above Cusco
Tea at the ancient monastryTea at the ancient monastry
Tea at the ancient monastry

Only ate here as it costs $440 a night to stay here!
Freezing at 3,800 metresFreezing at 3,800 metres
Freezing at 3,800 metres

Inca ruin of Puka Pukara
More rocks!More rocks!
More rocks!

How many more Jule?
Llamas or Alpacas?Llamas or Alpacas?
Llamas or Alpacas?

Still can´t tell the difference!


13th April 2008

Cheers!
Congratulations Julie & Marco! I've just finished reading your blog and let me tell you i am expecting more of the same, the pictures are fantastic, especially the one with Marco and the locals with traditional costume. Looking forward to your adventures, be careful with the food and the water Julie, and Marquinho you look as fit and slim as ever mate! What is the secret? Have fun..!

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb