19th December, Aguas Calientes


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Aguas Calientes
December 19th 2008
Published: December 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

19th December, Aguas Calientes

We got an hour and a half bus to our first stop on our way to macchu pichu (MP), which was Ollantaytambo, which was a beautiful little village before aguas calientes. we were supposed to be getting a train at 8.53am from here, however, there had apparently been a landslide that morning on to the tracks. So there was an hour delay whilst it was cleared. The scenery was stunning, with mountians surrounding the little town. Eventually we got the train and still arrived by about midday at our destination of Aguas Calientes. The station was packed with ´gringos.

After looking round for a while we got lost looking for our pick-up but he found us eventually. Our hotel was actually right next to the railway where we had gotten off!! This was not good as the noise of the trains coming past our window (looking down upon the tracks!) felt like an earthquake.

We explored the town which was small but beautiful and was surrounded by snow-capped mountains. We ate lunch at a cozy little restaurant, suggested to us by a guard, who had told me off for sitting on a statue of a dog!

There were lots of gringos around and like them we thought we would head to the hot springs, After seeing pictures of what looked to me like a small dirty paddling pool, i changed my mind about going in!

That night we had to return to the hostel for about 7.30pm as we had been told that our guide would be coming to visit us with information about the following day. But, typical, we waited in all night and he never showed up!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb