First day,


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Callao » El Callao
January 11th 2010
Published: January 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

hola,

Well firstly I should apologise about the last post, I didn´t include the fact that we played football against a load of Peruvians yesterday, it was quite strenuous as its so high, the view is uttery epic. If you imagine for a moment 277000 people living on the side of a massive sandy mountain range, stretching ever further up the hill as more impoverished indigenous people arrive (always higher up the mountain, thus the higher up you are the poorer you are). The view beneath you stretches all the way to the ocean, it looks to be about 4 miles away.

If you have seen Top Gear recently, you know the one where they all cross South America. When they reach the end of there journey they have to race down some sandy hills to sea level, well its exaclt like that, just not quite as steep, though the height above the ocean is quite correct, maybe we are higher.


Anyway, today we went to see some of the other long running projects here, one was a circus for. They showed us all they´re tricks and other things they had been working on, it was pretty good.

I had a good discussion with my supervisor and I asked about what educational prospects they have around here. He said that they have access to primary and secondary education, though cannot afford the price of university, I asked about scholarships, but he said they did not get them. I thought in that case there must be reasonable prospects after finishing secondary school. This is not the case, generally the education they recieve opens very few doors.

As this is the case I have contacted the British Embassy and asked to meet one of the vice councels, just to discuss the potential for urging the Peruvian government to grant scholarships to maybe 4-10 talented individuals from here a year. The British government only offers scholarships to leaders or politicians of the future, they must already harbour a degree, due to this they will almost always be of Spanish descent. I want people of indiginous ethnicity to have the opportunity to go to university, creating doctors, lawyers, business people of an indigenous ancestory as opposed to Spanish ones!!

Anyway, well shall see what happens.

Looking forward to teaching English and doing my own workshops in maths and football. Both of which I am reasonably crap at but I can tell people what to do in football and teaching highly basic maths will be easy.

Asta luago.

Smith


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



14th January 2010

from mum
Hi Adam, well am very proud of you (but am your mum) sounds an amazing place. I would have been that girl crying but I also think you are incredibly lucky and priveleged to experience this and I bet you'll meet some wonderful, kind people you will never forget. Very life-changing project and a million times better than sitting infront of some computer making a profit for faceless shareholders. Not sure I could cope with toilet and shower though but there you go, they have to for life..... Take care of yourself, love you lots and great to read the blogs xxxxx
14th January 2010

you've arrived!
Nice one Adam, get those diplomats told! Hope you really enjoy this, and that it changes your life (I promised the charity that it would! :) Cheers Tom

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb