a.k.a City of Cake!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa
January 23rd 2006
Published: January 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arequipa´s Plaza de ArmasArequipa´s Plaza de ArmasArequipa´s Plaza de Armas

Like most of Peru´s big cities, Arequipa´s Plaza de Armas looks pretty nice in the evening. Too bad about all the restaurants and treking outfits geared towards tourists.
Arequipa=Cake

This city has lots of things going for it, and yes it was a long way to travel for some cake! But hell, theres so much of it and its SO good!!!!!

OK... we used this city as a jumping off point to Canyon de Colca. Reported as the 2nd deepest canyon in the world, with the deepest one the next canyon over. More on that later.

Arequipa is situated close to three volcanos, El Misti (5822 m), Chachani (6075 n), and Pichu Pichu (5571 m). The postcards make it seem really cool, but as we are travellin in the rainy season they are all surrounded in clouds. Arequipa like all cities, towns and villages in Peru have several Plazas throughout the city with the main one know as Plaza de Armas. In Arequipa most of the buildings surrounding the Plaza de Armas and area have been constructed from sillar, a white volcanic rock that dazzels in the sun.

There are several tourist things to do here, but we choose to eat cake and go to one touristy thing, The Monasterio de Santa Catalina. This convent was founded in 1580 by a rich widow. The convent
Monasterio de Santa CatelinaMonasterio de Santa CatelinaMonasterio de Santa Catelina

Living at this posh convent would make celibacy seem inviting for women at the time.
covers an entire square city block, thus its a city within a city. Those that wanted to enter into this convent had to be quite rich as the dowry was something like $50,000 (todays $) plus a yearly payment... i.e. a lot of cash! Thus, this convent was a bit different than all the other ones out there with most nuns having one or two slaves and partying into the nite. At anyrate, that all changed one day when mr. grumpy pants from the vatican came by and shut the party down. The convent is still active with some 40 nuns living in a portion of the convent that we werent allow to visit.... maybe its the place where all the cakes come from?

Other Travellers:

This place is not in the book but is highly recommended. Casa de Jael @ 115 Pearl Calle (Street). Theyll pick you up at the bus station, thus saving you the 3 soles taxi fare. Rooms are clean, staff it GREAT and is centrally located. You can get help at the tourist info booth at the posh bus station or phone them directly at 510 09.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Wandering the Halls of Santa CatelinaWandering the Halls of Santa Catelina
Wandering the Halls of Santa Catelina

Just Grant poking his head through one of the many doors in this beautiful convent, only opened to the public in the late 70´s.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb