The Land That Time Forgot


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
March 14th 2016
Published: March 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

It was raining and dark from bulging clouds when we arrived at the Colca Lodge, deep in the Colca Canyon, so we didn't get to see the view till the following. And what a sight greeted us as we opened our curtains and the door to our room. A river churned below us, through the canyon, the sky was bright blue, swathes of cacti covered the inclines and were brimming with pinky orange coloured fruit, there was an Alpaca farm on the opposite river bank and terraces of vegetable were growing up the hills and the most amazing thing of all was the billowing steam, just like an old train, that came up from geyser fed hot spring pools down by the river. A magnificent vista or mucho bonista as you'd say in the local tongue.
The room has two floors and the kids love having the upstairs to themselves. Hat made me laugh when she came down in her Uros hat and poncho.
Everyone tucked into a brilliant buffet breakfast whilst I had papaya juice and chicken soup. We all had a chat about how we felt about moving hotels every 1-2 nights. Ed and Hat both said it was no problem at all; we'll keep an eye on this and maybe put a few more three nighters in, so that we can rest from travelling.
Of course, Cas and the kids got into their swimmies and went down to those hot springs. Little channels guided the hot water that trickled out of the rocks near the river bed, each pool got a little cooler, but the first one was too hot for anyone to bear.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0929s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb