arequipa & colca canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
September 14th 2009
Published: September 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We spent 1 day in Arequipa and 2 days on a Colca Canyon tour. Arequipa was pretty nice - it helped that the hostal we stayed in was helpful and cozy. The only bad thing was that the shower pressure was low and water was only lukewarm. We took it easy in Arequipa and only visited the Cathedral and Santa Catalina convent. The convent was really pretty ... we took our time walking around the compound taking lots of photos.
It was Myra's birthday on the 11th (the day we got into Arequipa) and we celebrated by having a nicer dinner than usual (spending more than US$15). We went to a restaurant over looking the main plaza that served stone cooked alpaca and home made chicha (drink made from corn). The alpaca meat was kind of tough, but I liked the chicha. We also got a place full of different kinds of potatoes/roots which we didn't really enjoy except for the lone sweet potato. But the atmosphere was nice and we got to try alpaca at least.
The next day, we left for our 2 day/1 night tour of Colca Canyon and Cruz Del Condor. We got some coca candies in case we suffered from altitude sickness since we were going up to about 4900m above sea level and then spending the night at a town that is 3600m above sea level. I'm glad we got the candies because I definitely felt the altitude sickness coming on. My heart was beating faster, I was running out of breath after walking a few steps, and I was finding it more difficult to breathe. I even woke up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding like crazy.
We drove through a reserve and saw vicunas, llamas and alpacas. They were so cute! The views from the reserve were amazing - we saw some volcanoes from afar and some interesting rock formations. The night time was not so great - the hostal we stayed in did not have hot water and since we were so high up, it was freezing! Myra and I both slept with a lot of layers and thick socks on. Myra braved the cold water and washed her hair, but I left mine greasy. eeww.
On the second day of our tour, we went to Cruz Del Condor point and saw some condors and good views of
vicunasvicunasvicunas

apparently they can spit up to 5 meters if you piss them off
the Colca Canyon (which was beautiful). The condors were gliding around in the air and all the tourists (including us) were taking a gazillion photos. We spent the rest of the day riding our bus back to Arequipa. That night we jumped on an overnight bus to Cusco. It was an awful ride. This lady behind us was vomiting into a bag for most of the night. It was loud and smelly (I don't think they threw the bag away after).
We're in Cusco now resting up before we leave on our 5day trek!

- Lydia



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

coca candiescoca candies
coca candies

precautions for altitude sickness - going up to 4600m above sea level
so softso soft
so soft

hi mom - we got you a scarf made from alpaca wool
volcano misti in the backgroundvolcano misti in the background
volcano misti in the background

we were 4900m above sea level!
condorcondor
condor

condors at Cruz Del Condor
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

taking in the view
long nightlong night
long night

on the night bus from Arequipa to Cusco. The lady in the corner was puking all night.


15th September 2009

Buena Suerte!
It´s good to hear you´re (both of you) enjoying your trip!!! Thanks for your advice about La Huacachina. Greets Ash
21st September 2009

hbd!
Wow what a way to spend your birthday :) and with unique food too! Looks like you're having a blast! Don't fall off those cliffs! --s
22nd September 2009

soooo good
Dear Lydia and Myra, I asked your Dad for your photos. I wanted to find out if you like the LX3 and if the camera takes good photos. I admire the good times you two are having. What a good decision to take time off to do this. Enjoy. Happy Birthday to you Myra. Hope you like that black "stuff", whatever it is, on your Birthday dinner plate !! Uncle 7, Clement

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb