Arequipa-Colca Canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
October 11th 2008
Published: October 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So after the dreaded flying fiasco, I decided for this ten hour overnight bus it would be brilliant to take a gravol. I was not disappointed. Slept really well in my louging chair, going way back, and having no one in front of me so i could put my feet up. Got cozy in my sleeping liner and went to sleep. James wasn´t quite as lucky but he did get some shut eye.

Arequipa is beautiful, and after arriving we checked into the hotel and then headed out around the city. Went to the main square, and into Catalina convent. later went for dinner, and got a good sleep cuz the next morning we caught a bus to the colca canyon.

From arequipa at 2400m you climb to the highest point at 4900m. Altitude sickess is a definte worry so james and i had colca leaves, tea and candy. Don´t worry it would 4kilos to make one gram cocaine so not a worry, and completely legal down here. Stopped a lot on the way up to help acclimatize, it wasn´t too bad til we got out and walked around and then you were a bit dizzy. Arriving into the town next to the canyon Chivey we had lunch and then went to the local hot springs for a dip. this morning had to get up at 5, to get ready to make our way to the canyon to see the condors. However halfway up we got stuck behind a big landslide, as I guess there was a bit of a miny earthquake the other day and had loosened some sediment. But after anhour of cat pshing a small amount of dirt off the hill we were off again. Altho somewhat sketchy considering the shoulder was quite soft....Saw the condors this morning, pretty cool. Went for a hike and i can tell u that is when u feel the altitude, it makes it very hard to breathe.

Anyways we drove back to arequipa this afternooon and tomorrow we are flying to cusco. And from there embarking on the trek. Good 430 am start tomorrow so it will be another early one. take care, write after the trek and macchu picchu

erin and james

Advertisement



15th October 2008

Hi Guys: We love the travel blog, sounds like you are having a blast. Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving and some turkey. Keep us updated. Stay safe. Miss you both. Love Mom and Dad Tony and Wendy

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb