colca caynon ....


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
August 30th 2005
Published: September 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

hola mis amigos,

Well i am in ecuador now and trying to get caught up on my "blogs".

we did a two night trek in colca canyon, the worlds deepest canyon. well actually the second deepest. there is a canyon next to it that is a little deeper. i believe the canyon is about 10000 feet deep, but again i can be wrong. anyway, we only hiked down about 3000 feet or so (but that was plenty for my knees) . spent the night down in the canyon and then hiked out the next day stopping at a oaisis to relax by the pool. on the way out some of us were a little tired and hungry and found out that the guide didnt have any food - he forgot to mention that we should buy some. also by the time we got out it was dark and not too much fun stumbling around in the dark- but all in all it was a nice trip. the next morning we got up early and started to head back to arequipa for a few hours to catch the night bus to cusco.

ok, now off on a tangent here. it seems like everyday i hear about someone being robbed or beaten up - first hand, not the second hand account of my cousins, barbers nephew who knew .... though i dont feel threaten, it is like what is going on here - . the latest two were last night in lima a local girl who works at the hostal here got everything stolen from a cab driver and a few days ago two friends of mine got beat up outside a bar in cusco and then they were made to pay for damage to a cab that the guys beating them did, all this why two cops watched!!! luckily they are ok, a few bruises and a big cut on the head. well, i guess it is a matter of time., or maybe my time was when in la paz i caught a guy with my camera in his hand and the strap coming out of my pocket and he said he was helping me because he caught the camera falling out of my pocket, ya right...

on the lighter side of things, When i returned to arequipa, Andres and I ended up in a beer drinking contest in some bar (mom arent you proud?¿). i cant even remember how many years it has been since i was in one of those. We ended up with some free t-shirts, size medium of course and free hats and beers!!!!!!

oh, in Colca canyon, Anres started a new "project", the orange hat project. see the pictures below. the orange hat will travel around the world, with people taking goofing pictures of themselves wearing the hat.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.416s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 19; qc: 78; dbt: 0.242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb