Canon del Colca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
July 10th 2007
Published: July 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My last stop in Peru is Arequipa. Arequipa lies in the Valley of the Volcanoes in the southern part of Peru. The people here endure harsh winters but are rewarded with spectacular views of the surrounding volcanoes and canyons. Volcanoes in this valley measure from 4,500 meters to more than 6,000 meters. At the highest point on our tour, we were at 4,600 meters.

Canyon del Colca is the second deepest canyon in the world. The deepest, Cotawasi, is 10 hours north of Canyon del Colca. Measuring more than 4,000 meters, it is a breath-taking sight. There are more than 100 volcanoes here and 100 varieties of potatoes. The terraces were built by people who were here before the Incas (pre-16th century).

Also in the Valley of the Volcanoes is Condor Cross. Here Andean condors soar high above head gracefully filling spectators with awe. We went hiking in the canyon for about an hour and at one point a condor flew right by us - it was huge! Its wingspan must have been 5 feet across!

The temperatures were freezing at night. The one thing that made it bearable was the natural hot springs flowing from the volcanoes. It was an amazing experience sitting under the stars in soothing hot water. They said the temperature of the water was 100 degrees F (40 degrees C) but I didn’t even notice. I was in there for over an hour!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

TerracesTerraces
Terraces

These terraces were built pre-16th century for farming.
Aquas ClientesAquas Clientes
Aquas Clientes

Outdoor hot springs :)
ChachachumbaChachachumba
Chachachumba

This plant can only be found above 5,000 meters. The locals use it to make tea to help with altitude sickness but I think the coca tea tastes better.
Medicinal plantMedicinal plant
Medicinal plant

This medicinal plant can only be found at altitudes higher than 5,000 meters.
CondorsCondors
Condors

It may be hard to see but there are two condors in this picture.


11th July 2007

Valley of Volcanoes
Wonderful pictures. Specially Valley of Volcanoes. I can imagine you are enjoying your trip. The only thing I could not see your face...
11th July 2007

Medicinal plant
Is that "medicinal" plant what i think it is???
12th July 2007

Enlarging pics
If you click on the picture, it will show you a bigger version. J
17th July 2007

Great Pictures
Great pictures Jen, you looking good in 2 of them. Hope some day you can write a book on all your adventures. ILU.....

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb