Avalanches, Mountains and spew...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ancash » Huaraz
May 7th 2006
Published: May 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our camp siteOur camp siteOur camp site

All our camp sites were as spectacular as this...
We have just finished our 4 day Santa Cruz trek though the Cordillera Blanca near Huaraz. The views were absolutley spectacular despite a few set-backs along the way.

It all started when we got off our night bus to the mountain town of Huaraz when Paul had to dash off the bus to spew his guts up. That altitude will get you every time. Huaraz is at an elevation of 3200m.

We had three people join us on the trek, two Brits and a Spaniard. Also joining us where a guide, two cooks, a donkey driver, four donkeys and three horses - quite an entourage!

Our first day involved a three hour journey on a mini bus where we climbed even higher into the mountains. All was going well until, we had to come to an abrupt halt due to an avalanche blocking the road. Just part of every day life in this part of the world.

The trek involved trekking through one valley, over a high pass and then down through a second valley. The scenery was amazing and included mountain ranges, waterfalls, lakes and so many cows. The pictures do the talking for the scenery.
The summitThe summitThe summit

This is the highest point of our trek


Every day involved 5 to 7 hours of walking, and some days were tougher than others. Unfortunatley Paul had altitude sickness for the first two days and barfed his lungs out. Miraculously, he was ok by day three.

The people on the trek were all great and Andrew even got a birthday cake cooked for him whilst we were deep in the mountains - it was quite a random moment to be singing Happy Birthday at 4200m, at 0c in a tent.

To top it off, on the way back our mini van got a blow out and we almost went off the side of a mountain.

Am now safe and sound in Cuzco after a long bus trip and delayed flight.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Not sure how they got up there...Not sure how they got up there...
Not sure how they got up there...

We found this family sitting on top of a hill on our first trek.
The hills are alive with the sound of...The hills are alive with the sound of...
The hills are alive with the sound of...

Part of the valley we walked through.


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb