Amazing Amazon Adventure


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Amazonas
July 19th 2008
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We are writing this a few days after leaving Iquitos and the Amazon jungle area, but this is the first time we have been on the computers.

The whole Amazon experience was far beyond our expectations and absolutely amazing. We visited a village close to our lodge and met many of the native people who are very friendly and fascinating. They depend on the amazong for everything, washing themselves, their clothing and providing food and drinking water.

Our lodge was 80 km north of Iquitos on the Amazon River. It was very rustic, with no electricity or hot water and three walls for the bedroom. We had very full days of activity - visiting the local village, piranna fishing (!) - which we ate later..., hiking through the jungle and walking the rainforest canopy walkway, where we stood above the tress and were able to see miles of Amazon jungle and various wildlife.

We should mention that during our rainforest hike (we were 150 kms from the nearest town of Iquitos) we had a very close encounter with a deadly snake. Luckily our guide saw it between the two of us, told us not to move and then for Anne to move ahead as the snake was next to Laura and hissing. Once safe and sound we were told that if bitten by this type of snake you die within an hour.

We have so many stories to share it is impossible to tell them all on here! Our Amazon experience ended with a one night stay in Iquitos, where we visited Peurto Belen (not a tourist area). We were escorted there by our guide Roger. Peurto Belen is a major major slum but very interesting since all of the houses are built to float during the high rain season. Many people here suffer from cholera, it is a huge market area where they sell everything, including bbq worms (or slugs...).

We left Iquitos on the July 16th and flew to Cusco.....

Advertisement



20th July 2008

Yuk
Did you REALLY have to talk about a hissing snake..almost thru out the computer!! I hope you are not planning any further jungle excursions and I am sure that you both know I want to hear almost all of your stories when you return but please remove the snake episode!! Be safe. Mom arrived at Benita's cottage safely and she read my email advising that you guys had returned from the Amazon. Be safe. Colleen

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb