Sad news from Guyana


Advertisement
Guyana's flag
South America » Guyana
March 3rd 2008
Published: March 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I got the following email from Project Trust recently:

--------------------------------------------------
Project Trust has to announce with much regret the death of Pamela McCarroll, one of our volunteers in Guyana. Pamela’s family have been informed and our thoughts are with them, her friends and fellow volunteers at this difficult time.

Pamela, 18, was the daughter of Mr and Dr McCarroll from Beith in Ayrshire. She was at St. Columba’s School in Renfrewshire, and was planning to go to university to study medicine.

We understand that Pamela was out walking with a friend. There are several high hills in the vicinity and we understand that she slipped and fell to the bottom of a cliff. We believe she died instantly.

Pamela McCarroll went to Guyana in September 2007, to spend a year at St Ignatius School near Lethem where she was working as a science teacher. She and her fellow volunteer were visited by a member of Project Trust’s UK based staff in January who noted that Pamela was an admirable teacher, very conscientious and hard working. She lived in a little house on the school premises with her fellow volunteer. They were due to leave in August 2008 when they would have seen their pupils through the Guyana school leaving exam, CXSE.

St Ignatius is just outside the town of Lethem, the main town in the southern savannah region of Guyana, about 500km from the capital Georgetown. It is an area with sparse villages inhabited by Amerindian families. Pamela loved it there and was extremely happy in her new role as teacher.

Project Trust’s Assistant Director, John Fraser, is flying out to Georgetown to assist the local representative.

Project Trust, Scottish based charitable trust, whose headquarters are in the Isle of Coll in the Inner Hebrides, was set up to enable young people to experience life in a different community, learn about its culture and help where they can. We have sent over 5,500 young people abroad to fifty six countries worldwide. Project Trust celebrates its 40th Anniversary this year.

We are extremely grateful to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the British High Commission in Georgetown and Strathclyde Police for their help in dealing with this tragedy.

Lavinia Maclean-Bristol, Director
--------------------------------------------------

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb