Ecuador's Beautiful Children


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
October 13th 2009
Published: October 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

One of the things that has made the biggest impression on us this adventure to Ecuador has been the children — Ecuador's sweet, beautiful children. If children reflect the soul of a country, then Ecuador's soul is both gentle and kind.

Again and again, we have witnessed happy children playing, brothers and sisters showing genuine care and affection for their smaller siblings, and a sweetness of spirit that permeates all.

The Ecuadorian children we've observed live in cities, towns, and villages. Many times, they are working along side their parents, or playing patiently while their parents toil nearby at their job or business.

The children we've witnessed are not rich in toys, but they are wealthy in spirit and imagination. There's nothing more beautiful than the sound of a child's laughter, and we've heard a lot of that in Ecuador.

The thing we have not heard are temper tantrums, meltdowns, or whining. Overwhelmingly, the children seem content, peaceful, and secure. They have large extended families, and everyone seems to know and look out for everyone else's children.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned from the children we've seen here, and from the way families and children relate, with love and kindness.

We're leaving Ecuador tomorrow, so I'm dedicating my final Ecuadorian blog to the children in this amazing country with the hope they may always keep the sweetness of spirit we have been so fortunate to witness these past three months, and that their laughter may always ring to the beautiful blue Ecuadorian skies.

Thanks for coming along with us on our excellent adventure.

Happy Travels,

Katie and Jack



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



13th October 2009

via con Dios
Travel safely you two. Looking forward to seeing you back in Ajijic.
13th October 2009

vaya con dios
Thanks, Jim! We're looking forward to getting back and seeing you guys, too!
14th October 2009

The children
Happy children who spend time with their parents, instead of tv and video games and eating junk food. What's really depressing is to see the changes once they become 'americanized'...I've seen the same happy kids in Guatemala, Mexico, Nepal and France. I volunteered with the children in all of those countries, and even took my 2 daughters when they were little to live in a small country village in France. A one-room school house. It was the best experience for them. Those are great photos! Thanks again. Betsy
14th October 2009

great blog
Katie, I am going to miss your blog. You have a real sense for writing. Please say hi to Jack. Take care Wayne
14th October 2009

To Betsy
It sounds like you've had some incredible experiences, Betsy. Love to hear about it sometime! Thanks for reading.
14th October 2009

To Wayne
Thanks, Wayne. I'm going to miss "sharing!" Jack says hi, back. Let us know if you two make it down to Lake Chapala.
15th October 2009

Gracias por las buenas historias
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I really enjoyed your entries, and it seems I'm not the only one. Le extrañarémos ¡Que vaya bien!
15th October 2009

Gracias por las buenas historias
Thanks, Mark! All best wishes and happy travels!
16th October 2009

ecuador trip
i enjoyed your trip blog, lots of useful info. its nice to read a blog that talks about ...prices.... not many do so. i would like to spend some time down there in the next couple of years. are you going to make the move there or are you happy with mexico ? are the retired expats in ecuador a bit less "mainstream" than those in mexico? thanks for your excellent insight. john zimmer palm desert ca
18th October 2009

To John
Thanks for the kind words, John. Im going to miss not sharing ala the blog. Its also a great way to focus your thoughts while traveling. For now, Lake Chapala is home, but who knows what the future holds. Im not sure what you mean exactly by "mainstream" expats. There, as here, theres a wide variety.
23rd October 2009

to John
Thanks, John! River boating in France sounds amazing...Happy Adventuring!
3rd November 2009

To Twyla
Sorry, Twyla...I don't really have an answer for you, but although younger people study English in school, the more Spanish you can speak the better here. I think the rainy season starts about October, but it's best to check a travel guide. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
9th November 2009

Sounds like your trip in the end was a joyful one and that you had many exciting adventures. I am glad that we were able to meet you and to be apart of your great adventure. Shyloh often thinks and talks about you two.
10th November 2009

To Christine
Thanks for being part of the adventure, Christine! Best to you and Shyloh, too. Hope Ecuador works out for you like you want!
8th December 2009

great photos, thanks for sharing
We will be in Ecu. from Jan-March hope to see more of your photos and comments before we leave for our trip.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb