More Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
November 6th 2006
Published: November 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Just so you know this is difficult to write as the Peruvian girl on the computer next to me is playing a Latin version of Robbie Williams´ "Angel" at full volume, is singing along very badly & keeps letting out random screeches .... it´s all very distracting


Monday the 6th of November

Baños

It was a long drive fom Coca to Baños. Vicky was in a grump so she sat up front with Martin all day (we think she fancies him). And, Bambino (also known as Paws) & I played cards for hours to pass the time away. Baños (2400m) is a centre for outdoor & mountain activities situated at the bottom of a huge volcano (over 5000m) which has recently been very active. Our hotel & the town itself were lovely and quite a change from slummy old Coca. We had a lovely dinner out with lots more Chilean red & went to bed like happy little bunnies.

Next morning after a delicious breakfast of fruit & fresh rolls we walked into the centre of town to hire a couple of mountain bikes for a day ride along the avenue of the waterfalls. We bought shorts on the way so we could get our legs out and scare the locals. We had a fantastic but incredibly tiring day hooning around on our bikes. Most of the route was down hill but there were enough ups to have us gasping for breath. We had to cycle through one very long tunnel which was pretty hairy especially as I forgot to take my sunglasses off so was plunged into complete darkness but after that most of the cycling was off road & one time even under a little waterfall which was refreshing. There were a few stops along the way, first to watch a girl jump off a bridge (don´t worry she was tied to a rope). Next to cross the gorge on one of the worlds most basic cable cars ... literally a cable, a metal basket & a petrol engine to pull us across. Finally to walk down to the Diablo waterfall where we crossed what must have been the dodgiest bridge in the world (broken planks over a deep gorge of rushing water). We survived it all & proudly made it to Rio Negro, where a bus stopped for us & with our bikes in the boot we were driven triumphantly back to Baños 35k way.

Into Peru

The next day was a long drive day to Punta Sal in Peru. We left early that day and stopped on the way out of town to look at the smoking volcano. We had ash on the truck from it! We had a breathless breakfast en route at just under 4000m I still have no idea how we´re going to be able to walk up to 4800 meters on the our alternative Inca trail trek. Our Border crossing from Ecuador to Peru was a strange one. We stopped to have our passports stamped out of Ecuador then drove on a couple of miles through a bustling border town which was buzzing with night time activity. Traders crowding every street, money exchangers sitting with their briefcases full of money on their laps, people wheeling countless carts piled high with fruit, veg & god knows what else & a curious chap who had one ear growing out of his neck making suggestive gestures to us with a bowl of food.Dave wouldn´t let me open a window even though it was boiling hot & he stood by the door of the bus ready to repel any boarders but nothing happened. We then we drove another mile or so before being stamped into Peru.

Bye Bye Ecuador, thank you for an excellent time

K x



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Making BreakfastMaking Breakfast
Making Breakfast

Not a bad spot eh!


21st November 2006

Hello wenches!
Well, I've finally had time to read through your blogs. Your trip sounds fantastic so far and you still have soooo much more to see. Enjoy every second girls and keep up the funny stories. I've almost spat my lunch over my keyboard a few times! Take care of yourselves, Thinking of you on your travels, Em -x-

Tot: 0.436s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 22; qc: 112; dbt: 0.2469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb