Puerto Lopez


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Puerto López
July 16th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Puerto LopezPuerto LopezPuerto Lopez

Whale watching
Peurto Lopez has a picturesque setting, golden sands, turquoise waters and lots of whales 20 minutes out to sea by fast boat. Its only a 30 minute flight from Quito and then a 2 hour bus journey from Manta and its well worth a visit. I went for three days and crammed in a lot including seeing whales for the first time which was an amazing experience, visitng the National park nearby ( Playa Los Frailes beach) and staying at the Hosteria Mandala and eating lots. The whale watching was a highlight and the main reason gringos come to PL between June and September when the whales are travelling up the Pacific coast from the Antartic to give birth to their calves in warmer waters. They literally jump out of the air to do an acrobatic turn in mid air and then come crashing back down - a bit like the huge belly flops the fattest kid at school used to do!!! . Its frustratingly difficult to get the perfect picture of them doing this and the video comes out better ( by the way I´ve added a few videos to the Galapagos and NZ blogs for you to have a look at). The Playa Los Frailes beach is lovely and costs USD 10 entrance fee as its part of the National park. You can get one of the taxi cyclones there and back for USD 5. The Hosteria Mandala is popular with gringos, the staff are really friendly and the accomodation has these great cabins which have unique names, comfy beds, cool bathrooms and relaxing hammocks right outside. As well as great food they do wicked cocktails and have a private beach. The town is also nice with lots of beachside cocktail bars, restuarants and internet cafe´s.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Puerto LopezPuerto Lopez
Puerto Lopez

Sun Set while having a few cold beers at the Whale Cafe on the Malecon
The Malecon The Malecon
The Malecon

Beach road
Puerto Lopez Tricicleros Puerto Lopez Tricicleros
Puerto Lopez Tricicleros

I had flashbacks to Thailand while in these....
Hosteria Mandala cabin Hosteria Mandala cabin
Hosteria Mandala cabin

Chilling in the Hamock
Hosteria Mandala cabin Hosteria Mandala cabin
Hosteria Mandala cabin

Bones of a whale
Vulture Vulture
Vulture

Haven´t seen one of these since watching Westerns on TV 20 years ago !!!
Hosteria Mandala Hosteria Mandala
Hosteria Mandala

Where to next........?


25th July 2008

Whales
What amazing shots of the whales! Was it very wavey on the boats around them? I hate to ask you, but are you on route home? Will be lovely to see you soon. J/x
29th July 2008

whale shots
your whale shots have convinced me to experience Lopez. what do you know about Isla de Plata?
5th August 2008

Greetings from Thorpe Bay!
Hi - had tea with your Mum at the weekend (and got the guided tour of your fabulous London pad) and she said I should log-on to see your adventures. The blog is amazing and the photos are excellent. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb