Cotopaxi


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Cotopaxi
July 11th 2008
Published: July 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cotopaxi Cotopaxi Cotopaxi

Standing at the start of the Glacier the highest point we climbed at 5000m
After the Galapagos trip we returned to Quito for two nights out on the town sampling some quality red wine, Tapas, traditional ecuadorian food and cocktails. I decided to book a tour to Cotopaxi National parkwith Gullivers travels after a couple of recommendations.

Cotopaxi (5897m) is one of the highest active volcanoes in the world. Its last eruption was in 190. The land around it has tundra like vegetation, wild horses roaming around and the air is very thin at 3500m ! After an early 7.00am start it took around two hours to get to the National park where the guide recommended we purchase some gloves and hats as it gets really cold up at the refuge. The bus then took us to the Museo Mariscal Sucre where there are lots of maps of the park and stuffed animals. We went for a walk at around the tundra vegetation to get acclimatized and drove along the bumpy road to the point where you climb up to the refuge (4600m). It was a slow hour to the refuge as you have to take it really slow and stop every so often to gasp for some breath!!. After the refuge we climbed to the foot of the Glacier which was even more difficult and it was snowing. Everyone took lots of pictures before climbing back to the refuge for some lunch and hot chocolate or tea.

After hiking back down to the bus we got on the montain bikes and cycled downhill ( breaks on all the way!!) to a lake which I think was called Limpiopungo. You have to be really careful on the bikes and take it very slow, two fell off and had injuries and one of them a crazy Canadian thought he may have broken his collarbone!!

We got back to Quito around 8.00pm exhausted but it was a great day out and it was a good measure for what some of the treks would be like in Peru at high altitude. I think I´ll be getting the train to Machu Picchu !!!

Well keep well everyone and see you all soon.








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



12th July 2008

Hi Meanie! I've always, always wanted to go to the Galapagos Islands... am so jealous!! Vik and Eri are up north with me at the moment, we're off to see Kylie tonight! Lots of love from us all !! Carolyn/xxxx

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb