Day 77 - Iguanas in the Park


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Guayaquil
June 7th 2010
Published: June 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We took advantage of the 1pm check-out in what seemed like an un-interesting city and lay in bed until midday. Upon investigating the cost of humpback whale watching over on the coast in the Machalilla National park, we decided to head straight to Quito a week ahead of our Galapagos trip. Our plans to explore surrounding areas such as BaƱos were scuppered by the recent eruptions of volcano Tungurahua (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/latin_america/10189054.stm), but Claire and Matt from our Inca Trek were in Quito and we would surely be able to occupy ourselves. Before heading to the bus terminal we went in search of lunch... you guessed it... KFC! Then we stumbled quite accidentally upon not one but two city plazas teeming with iguanas! In the first, we were the only ones taking any interest, but the second was full of children - so we joined in with them, stroking the tails of the docile animals and laughing as the pigeons climbed all over them to get to the feed on the ground. The children turned their laughter towards me as I squealed when an iguana scrambled over my sandalled feet in a mass exodus to bask in the last of the day's sun.

At the bus terminal we bought tickets for the next bus to Quito and scoped out our again limited food options. Chris managed to find a meat and rice combo, but feeling a little bored of rice I opted for... my third KFC in 24 hours! Shocking I know, I think I've only had KFC once or twice my in entire life before now! Must kick the habit before addiction takes hold.

A nine hour journey to Quito early evening meant we would arrive at 3am, so I called the hostel we had booked for the following night to check they would let us in a day early and in the middle of the night! Quite impressed with my Spanish even if I do say so myself.

Started panicking upon arrival in Quito when the streets were deserted and we were about to be dropped off in the dodgiest area without onward transfer to our hostel, but thank God for the queue of (overpriced) taxis at the bus company's office!

Chris's Corner

The drug squad weren't far off again and in the middle of the night everyone was piled off the bus into a queue for men and one for women where our hand luggage was searched, metal detector used and then ushered through into a holding cage until the bus had also been checked. Felt very prison camp!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb