Day 76 - 17 Hour Bus Ride


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Guayaquil
June 6th 2010
Published: June 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Not a lot to report from today, bus was pleasant with good leg room, breakfast and lunch served on board and movies played either in English or with English subtitles for once! It didn't arrive in Guayaquil (Ecuador's largest city) until 6pm though. Exhausted and me with indigestion we went in search of a light and healthy dinner, not wanting to venture too fa as this city isn't the safest after dark (where is!?). Unfortunately for our 5-a-day, the ONLY thing on offer within a mile radius of our hotel was fried chicken and chips (or rice). Literally fast food joint after fast food joint. The healthiest dish I could find was a KFC Twister wrap (not too many carbs, and even a little salad!). Chris had chicken and chips and we returned to the hotel for a few hours of American TV channels, including Devil Wears Prada! Although I fell asleep before the end and am dying to know what happens!

Chris's Corner

The international bus was a journey and a half, and though we paid a premium I'm sure to go with Ormeno and do the journey to Guayaquil in one go, I'm glad we did as this boarder has something of a reputation. The bus arrived an hour late, and our first sight was the back up drivers tighty whities illuminated by the moon as he changed in the front window! To cross the boarder we had to stop on the Peruvian side to stamp out, the Ecuadorian side to stamp in (both overrun with one man band money changes - the rate no doubt a steal... for them), once to have the luggage checked and once so the drug department could check us and our hand luggage out! Just for good measure we stopped at a petrol station , half an hour out so the driver could get the bus washed! The good thing is everyone is forced off and the bus doors closed so your belongings are secure.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 85; dbt: 0.0845s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb