Vilcabamba #3 - Cowboy Chronicles, Part II


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South
August 21st 2009
Published: August 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Real estate's a problem in Vilcabamba. One person who has been involved in real estate for the past few years—in spite of protestations that she made no money from real estate sales—had to "leave in the middle of the night" a few weeks ago. Real estate salesmen are regularly reviled around the tables of local restaurants by disgruntled gringos and locals alike. Last weekend, one well-known "I am not in real estate" resident hosted a two-day Real Estate Tour and charged $250 a person. Several people flew in from around the world to attend. We talked to one couple from Chicago who groused about having to pay $500 (but did it anyway), and met several others in passing.

But the market's been so hot in Vilcabamba the past few years after so much publicity by organizations like International Living, that the inventory is getting low. "The real estate here's all bought up," said a knowing oldtimer sitting at the next table during lunch. "People are having to go up the hill."

Vilcabamba is just one of many magnificent Andean valleys around here... as well as the most expensive. Want to save money, lots of money? Just get out of town! Vilcabamba's been hyped beyond reason.

And they do it differently here in Vilcabamba. There are no laws regulating who can sell real estate. If you want to sell real estate, print up a business card. Congratulations! You're a real estate agent.


HOW DO YOU DO IT THEN?

So how do you buy real estate in Vilcabamba? Those "who know" say... hire a taxi driver. They typically cost $8.00 an hour, know what's for sale, and will drive you there. Some even speak English.

The tradition in Ecuador is to go directly to the Seller, start negotiations by offering 60-percent of the asking price, mano-a-mano, and then have an attorney handle the details when you reach an agreement. Quick, easy, direct... and no 10-percent fee to an agent.

Many people paint "Se Vende" on their fences to let you know the property's for sale. Mostly, you just have to ask around.

That's the Ecuadorian Way.


THE COWBOY CHRONICLES - PART II

(Hum for best effect). As I walked down the streets of Vilcabamba
As I walked down Vilcabamba one day
I spied an old cowboy and boy was he swaying
Swaying and saying he'd had a tough day.


Anyway, two days later after Pardner saved the colicky horse's life by pouring onion soup down his nose, we saw him on the street again.

"Don't ask me how I'm feeling," he said, visibly upset as he rocked east and west.

"Bad day, huh?" I asked.

"My favorite horse fell in the creek and drowned," he said, not explaining just how that could have happened. "Couldn't take it out, so I just had to pour gasoline all over it and burn it right there. I've been crying all morning," he said, lending new meaning to "crying in your beer."

"Sorry about that, Pardner," I said.

"That horse was something. One time, he kicked me in the balls so hard, I had to go to the hospital and have an operation," he sighed and swayed, pointing to the injured parts. "Yep, that horse was my favorite."

At least unforgettable, I thought.

A cowboy and his horse bond in strange ways.

***
You can't make up this stuff up. Honest!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Ecuadorian Rock WorkEcuadorian Rock Work
Ecuadorian Rock Work

They are amazing craftsmen.
Another Picture WindowAnother Picture Window
Another Picture Window

Great view homes from all over these valleys!
House for SaleHouse for Sale
House for Sale

Funky and fine.


27th August 2009

Cowboy Chronicles??
OMG--are you sure you aren't making that up?! Listen, I am just glad you have managed to get the blog going again. I really miss getting your daily updates. Glad you are enjoying it there, but we really miss you here in Ajijic. Oh yeah, we miss Jack some too:)
29th August 2009

Cowboy Chronicles??
Honest, Jim! You just can't make this stuff up! Missing you guys, too~!
9th September 2009

fine and funky home
i like th funky and fine house. i'm looking for property in vilcabamba. do you have any more properties to show. how much is th funky one? are there more funky homes. smallish. but some acreage.
10th September 2009

fine and funky home
Sorry, I have absolutely nothing to do with real estate whatsoever here. Good luck though!

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb