Cuenca & Around


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Loja
September 16th 2007
Published: September 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A Statue at CuencaA Statue at CuencaA Statue at Cuenca

I have no idea of who
Hi All,
Sorry I haven't written in a few days, but I'm writing now, so don't complain.

We got to Cuenca Friday night, and went to a hostel that was recommended to us by the German couple we met in the Galapagos. However, it turns out that there are two hostels with the same name, and they are very close to each other, so naturally, we ended up in the wrong one. We did meet a nice German girl there, who also got to the wrong hostel because of the same reasons, so that turned out okay.

On Saturday, we went to Ingapirca, which is the biggest Inca site in Ecuador. Well, Ecuador's biggest Inca site has a half ruined temple to the Sun, another small building with no roof, and lots of stones on the ground. If I wanted that, I could have gone to Tel Sehva (just kidding). There was a guide there, and she even spoke English, so it was quite interesting, but it sure isn't Machu Pichu.

On Sunday, we went hiking in Cajas national park, with the German girl, Weibke (pronounced Vibke). We had a lovely start, went down some very steep slopes,
International Call Prices in CuencaInternational Call Prices in CuencaInternational Call Prices in Cuenca

Yosi Benayun is not alone
saw wonderful views, and we were very happy we are not coming back up the way we came. Unfortunatlely, we didn't find the Inca trail that we were supposed to follow to the end of our planned route. After searching for a couple of hours (I forgot to mention that the entire park is a giant bog, by then we were wet and muddy, and a little miserable), we decided to give up, and come back up the way we had come. It was already raining, so what didn't get wet from the mud, got wet from the rain. It was NOT a fun climb, but we made it, and got back to the ranger station where there was a fireplace. Then we caught a bus back to Cuenca, and the bus had heating. It's funny how small things can make you happy.

On Sunday (today) we walked around Cuenca for a few hours. It really is a beatiful city, with some very nice colonial buildings (I don't know anything about architecture, I read it in the guide book) . We saw a band playing some music (I think it's supposed to be traditional, I'm not sure), and then,
The Temple of the Sun at IngapircaThe Temple of the Sun at IngapircaThe Temple of the Sun at Ingapirca

Each niche got direct sunlight at one of the soltices or equinoxes. If you don't know it's shortest day, longest day, and twice when day and night are equal.
completely by chance, we saw a weird modern dance performance, which was actually kind of nice. We also sawsome Inca ruins in the middle of Cuenca. If I thought Ingapirca was small, I was wrong But still, in the middle of the city, it's fine. Then we said goodbye to Weibke and caught a 5 hour bus to Loja, where we're spending the night.

Tomorrow morning we're going to Piura, Peru, on an 8 hour bus. The next time we pay for internet, it will be in Nuevo Sol, not dollars.

I will try to upload some photos, but the connection here is very slow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The Rest of IngapircaThe Rest of Ingapirca
The Rest of Ingapirca

Not much to see, and I won't repeat what the guide told us (because I don't remember).
A Laguna at CajasA Laguna at Cajas
A Laguna at Cajas

This was in the morning, we were still happy.
Cajas National ParkCajas National Park
Cajas National Park

You can see what I mean by bog
The End of our Hike in CajasThe End of our Hike in Cajas
The End of our Hike in Cajas

Here we are happy again
Street Performance in CuencaStreet Performance in Cuenca
Street Performance in Cuenca

I don't know why or what for, but it was nice.


2nd December 2007

Thanks. I am going to Ecuador in a few weeks and loved reading your blog. I got ideas of what to do and what not to do.

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb